jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is companionship synonymous with sex?

1. CARIBQUEEN profile image73
    CARIBQUEENposted 7 years ago

Is companionship synonymous with sex?

Some persons believe that to have a companion means you must indulge in intimacy. Is that so? What are your thoughts?

2. tnderhrt23 profile image73
    tnderhrt23posted 7 years ago

the first thing I thought of when I read your question was my dog, Shadrack, who is the best companion I have ever had!!! lololol...Herein lies the conflict for me...for I DO NOT include, nor wish to, at this stage of my game, sex into the companionship package...perhaps because I have not met the "right one", I don't know...but sexual intimacy is a sacred thing to be shared between two deeply committed people who are in love...I cannot give myself in this way without the emotional intimacy that it deserves...sexual union between two people committed in love is truly a holy thing,physically, emotionally, and spiritually... anything less cheapens it. That is just me...hence, I walk a lonely path, for most folks expect sex should be part of the package... so there it is! I will start ducking now so I don't get hit with any rotten tomatoes or rocks! Great question!

3. CARIBQUEEN profile image73
    CARIBQUEENposted 7 years ago

tnderhrt23 - I love your response. It is fantabulous!  At this stage, we can easily leave out Shadrack .  He will always be faithful, that is what I love about animals especially dogs. However, I was speaking about human companionship, which you covered quite nicely. Hats off to you!

4. lindagoffigan profile image61
    lindagoffiganposted 7 years ago

Companionship is the need to be in the company of another but is most often used in the context of the elderly and their need to connect to others in the outside world if confined in a nursery home for an example.  Sex has much more intimate connations and denotes compatibility more so than companionship.  Sure sex places one in companionship with the other but most often the association is physical more so then keeping company as in the case of the elderly.

working