jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Are there Herbal cures for recurrent Strep throat?

1. ian 12am profile image86
    ian 12amposted 23 months ago

Are there Herbal cures for recurrent Strep throat?

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
    bradmasterOCcalposted 23 months ago

When I get strep throat, I boil water and then add apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and honey.

When your throat feels like you are swallowing broken glass, I find this soothes it. And it has always made it better.

ian 12amposted 23 months agoin reply to this

I have read about all sorts of remedies to sooth the pain but am actually looking for something that can completely cure and eradicate the disease, without the use of antibiotics.

3. LoisRyan13903 profile image81
    LoisRyan13903posted 23 months ago

I personally would not mess with strep because this is a dangerous sore throat and if left untreated it can do damage to your heart.  I had it once years ago and didn't think much of it-then it just got worse and came close to developing rheumatic heart disease.  Really antibiotics are the only way to go.  sometimes you may have to go with a stronger one, make sure you keep taking the medicine until the pills are gone.  Even though you might not have sore throat pain after a couple of days, the bacteria is not entirely gone.

What you can do before another strep attack is to follow a daily regimen of what bradmaster says.  It may kill the strep bacteria before it becomes strep throat.  Both honey and lemon juice contain infection fighting bacteria.

ian 12amposted 23 months agoin reply to this

I understand that strep throat can be associated with complications like Rheumatic heart disease, but taking antibiotics so often isn't that good either. I guess I need to use lemon and honey to try and prevent it from recurring

4. Sandi Kroeger profile image81
    Sandi Kroegerposted 23 months ago

Strep throat is not something to mess around with as the complications can be very serious. That being said, most people will recover on their own within 3-7 days if they are healthy & have a good immune system. Although this bacterial infection is spread through respiratory droplets, any bacterial infection is more likely to cause you serious illness if you have already been fighting off another illness such as a bad cold or flu. Some people do carry the strep bacteria (Group A beta-hemolytic) in their bodies and never have an overt illness from it but if you are looking for natural ways to prevent strep throat I would have to suggest that staying as strong and healthy as possible is the best prevention since your body can, and will, fight off a bacterial infection most of the time under those circumstances. So many times people will just continue to do try to work and maintain their  daily routine without the extra rest and fluids your body needs to fight off an infection. As a result, the body's immune system gets worn down and can't fight off the bugs by itself any longer.  Any time you have a sore throat and fever for more than 5-7 days, you need to consult with a physician. It can just be a virus but with most viruses you are starting to get better in that amount of time and, if you aren't, at least consult with a nurse hotline.

5. CrescentSkies profile image88
    CrescentSkiesposted 23 months ago

Every anti-microbial herb I know of and could recommend would likely not help against Strep. The magnitude of the disease requires more refined medication over the more generalist effects of herbal medicine.

6. ian 12am profile image86
    ian 12amposted 21 months ago

I got another episode of strep throat about three weeks ago.  This time I stayed clear of antibiotics. I used Red chilli powder (cayenne) with fresh ginger in hot water, which I sipped on for about 3-5 times a day.  With in two days, I had significant relief and by the fourth day, it was completely gone.  I don't know if that mixture has any side effects, but I  think am going to keep it close in case a new episode strikes