jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)

At what point did "gun control" become synonymous with "gun opression" or "disar

1. shape_shifter profile image60
    shape_shifterposted 7 years ago

At what point did "gun control" become synonymous with "gun opression" or "disarmament?"...

Shouldn't gun control simply be the responsibility of every educated gun owner?

2. justom profile image69
    justomposted 7 years ago

Has it ? I've been hearing about O'bama wanting to take away guns and ammo since he took office but I haven't heard him say anything negative about it. If you want to own guns nobody is stopping you.

3. omcj1234 profile image55
    omcj1234posted 7 years ago

Yeah, I don't know the new gun laws but I know it's pretty tough to get them in NJ.

4. cascoly profile image60
    cascolyposted 7 years ago

gun CONTROL means the govt needs to be involved - we dont need tot worry about the responsible, educated gun owners - it's the irresponsible, criminal folks we need to keep guns away from

the other terms you use are only from the rabid right - fox news types who equate any attempt at gun control with 'opression' or disarmament.  unfortunatley, thanks mostly to the NRA and the Roberts supreme court, congress can't pass even minimal controls

5. ar.colton profile image84
    ar.coltonposted 7 years ago

Educated gun-owners are not the ones commiting gun crimes, unfortunately they are being targeted anyway. Gun control should mean control of the illegal and stolen weapons that are being used in the context of crime. Many people don't seem to see the difference.

6. Jarn profile image83
    Jarnposted 7 years ago

When they made it illegal to own machine guns back in May of 1986. If it exists, a responsible citizen of this country should be able to own it. Period.

7. profile image54
    THEOBSERVERposted 7 years ago

Gun regulation is not synonymous with disarmament but please look at England's history of "gun control laws" It starts with control and ends up to today's standard which is practical disarmament.

Pistols Act 1903 , Firearms Act 1920, Firearms Act 1937, Firearms Act 1968, Firearms Act 1997.

Once you go down the slippery slope...it is too late

8. Jack Burton profile image82
    Jack Burtonposted 7 years ago

Once you understand that "gun control" is really at it's heart "people control" then you know that gun oppression and disarmament go hand in hand with it. There is no difference.

1. ChristinS profile image95
      ChristinSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

We have strict rules for getting a drivers license and keeping it - who tries to take your car away unless your irresponsible?

2. Jack Burton profile image82
      Jack Burtonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

There are no organizations or government officials dedicated to taking peoples cars away. You cannot say the same about firearms.

9. days leaper profile image80
    days leaperposted 6 years ago

When owning just one gun meant one unnecessary death.

10. someonewhoknows profile image73
    someonewhoknowsposted 6 years ago

My opinion in the issue of Gun control is --------------
    Your dammed if you do and your dammed if you don't!
    I'm for Gun safety,Training,licenses.
    Criminals don't obey just laws and unjust laws don't foster freedom.