jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Is it ever acceptable for a pregnant woman to wear spanx?

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 2 years ago

Is it ever acceptable for a pregnant woman to wear spanx?

Some celebrities and non celebrities are wearing spanx, or other shape wear well into their pregnancy to get a smooth look in tight outfits.
    Is this going too far in the name of beauty to the safety of their unborn child?

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image80
    LoisRyan13903posted 2 years ago

I would think it might be fine in the early stage of pregnancy but as the mother begins to show, I don't think spandex will give that much of a smooth fit.  I wear spandex when I go to work out but have to wear a larger shirt because the spandex pants make the rolls in my belly area more noticeable-I am about 30 pounds overweight.  I am not sure about the safety issue with unborn children but I would think it might harm them if the pants are too restricting but I am not a doctor so am not too sure.

Stacie Lposted 2 years agoin reply to this

thank your for answering this question about pregnant women wearing spanx.

3. CarolineChicago profile image85
    CarolineChicagoposted 2 years ago

I also think the wearing spandex/spanx shape wear during the early stages of pregnancy is fine. After having three children, from my own personal view, I couldn't imagine feeling that constricted after a certain point. However, my pregnancies were all back in the early '90s when  maternity fashions were still tent-like structures. I sort of envy the women today who get to show off their pregnant bellies, instead of hiding them like we did. I had to deal with maternity hose because women were all expected to wear pantyhose to work back then. That was kind of like shapewear--and my babies were all fine.

Stacie Lposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I guess it depends on the pregnancy month. Spanx is ok in the early months but cautioned after 4months I suppose.

working