If you were diagnosed with a life altering illness how would you live different?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)
  1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 8 years ago

If you were diagnosed with a life altering illness how would you live different?

If you were diagnosed with something that would likely have you wheel chair bound by your 50's or too sickly to enjoy older age how would you live different? What if you could turn back time. How would you have lived different?

2. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

In my late thirties I was struck with a mystery illness. It started with rashes, moderate fevers, and a slow but steady increase in the normal pains of life. By the time I was 37, the aches and pains were greatly amplified and the fevers reached as high as 105 degrees. I had seizures and the fevers brought delirium while the rashes started to mainly be on my face. I started getting sunburns and sun rashes after just minutes of exposure to natural light and with them came awful fevers. I kept on going to work until I was scheduled right out of my job.

It took over five years for it to get diagnosed as lupus.

As to how I'd have done things differently if I'd known about it, I'd have been really, really pushy with my doctors and stayed as pushy as I had to be until they came up with a diagnosis that made sense. I wouldn't have put up with all the repeated poking and prodding of my lady parts rather than my brain when I was having neurological symptoms, either.

I'd give up working at my day job before my day job got rid of me. I'd forgive myself for being sick right away instead of wasting my precious time on hating myself for weakness for a few years. I'd let myself enjoy what I still could a lot sooner, embracing my inner foodie and inner artist immediately rather than treating them like enemy slackers trying to corrupt me. I felt like if I was too sick to work, I didn't deserve any pleasure.

Before my illness struck, I was used to being physically strong. I enjoyed riding my bike, climbing cliffs, climbing trees, hiking, playing Frisbee, tickle fights, athletic sex, and all sorts of other physical recreation. It took a long time to get used to the idea that those things weren't for me anymore and the ways I had to prove it to myself were not pretty. If I had it to do over, I'd try to tell myself, hey, those things are in your past for now, take care of yourself and medical advances in the future might give them back to you.

I also wouldn't let people who said, "but you don't look sick," get in my head and wake up my self-hatreds and I'd tell them they don't look like a-holes, either, but they are.

You can still be sick or feeble and enjoy life. If ill, injured, and elderly people got appropriate medical care and pain control in this country, people wouldn't have to fear illness, disability, or old age nearly so much. When my fevers and pain are under control I can have a great time; I just had to learn new ways to enjoy myself.

1. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What a beautiful answer! I was diagnosed with RA and Lupus almost a year ago. I certainly understand! There is so much I miss, and so much I worry I will never do again! Good luck hun! Thanks for the Answer!

2. Austinstar profile image84
      Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Beautiful answer. If only pain were visible to others, then they might understand. But people only think of themselves most of the time. If it doesn't affect them, then it must be all in our heads. Not so! Enjoy life and health while you still can!

3. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 8 years ago

Up until 2006, I lived a normal life and enjoyed most of the activities I'd enjoyed during my lifetime, especially going to the lake. We owned a small sail boat that we sailed on a nearby lake. Then that year, I was on a city bus that got slammed by a car. Both vehicles were going between 50 and 60 mph, and the bus rolled over on its side. I did a somersault over four seats and landed on my back on a seat frame. I was also hit in the head by a pop-out window. With a couple of cracked  vertebrae, broken sternum, and four broken ribs, my life changed drastically. While I can do some things that surprise even me, the simplest tasks like washing dishes and loading the dishwasher can be quite painful. Walking throws my back out of place and causes a headache, so I can't jog or go on my daily walks like I used to. I feel like I'm getting old and soft too soon.
    I have a handicapped parking plaque that I frequently use, although I don't use it on my "good" days. I sometimes fake a limp so people won't accuse me of having nothing wrong. My dream was to climb Pinnacle Mountain, an old volcano about seven miles from my home. Why I never climbed it when I was younger, I don't know. Anyway, I doubt if I'll ever be able to navigate even a walking trail to the top. I would have climbed that mountain, floated the Buffalo River, and lastly, I never would have gotten on that bus that morning. I am not in a wheelchair yet, but I may have to face that in the future.
    As far as my treatment of people, especially my family and coworkers, I am grateful to them and I wouldn't treat them any differently, but I dislike the fact that they've had to make some adjustments for me. I don't feel angry at "god" or any other deity for my misfortune. It's just life to me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)