jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Did your parents stress job security or career passion/fulfillment?

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Did your parents stress job security or career passion/fulfillment?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12485350_f260.jpg

2. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 2 years ago

Yes and it set me on the wrong path for years and I was miserable for a long time.  I think people need to be encouraged to do something they both enjoy and can make a decent living at.  I was always told that what I wanted was "impractical" and it took a lot of time and painful job situations to come to the point that I chose to do what I actually wanted to do, instead of what I was conditioned to believe I "should" be doing.  End result - I am a much happier person.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Good answer, so many parents push job security & stability on their children to the detriment of job passion & fulfillment.  This explains why so many people have less than positive feelings towards their jobs.

2. Adrien Richards profile image60
      Adrien Richardsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

you are right --following you on Pinterest

3. RNMSN profile image90
    RNMSNposted 2 years ago

Great question gmwilliams! My parents did both. My father stressed job security...He was born in 1923 and felt that staying at one place, working for one employer for the entire career was most important. My Mother encouraged and stressed to me that if my passion was there for Whatever career path I chose was the most important thing as far as a career. My mom was born in 1934. I was lucky I believe to have heard both lines of thought. I also think the decades that my parents were born in also led to their own beliefs of what is important as far as choosing a career is concerned as well as the way they raised me and my siblings. But, in the end, it was my decision. So I think the question as far as my own life path is concerned would have been did my parents try to influence my career decisions. They did not. For that I know I am lucky to have had two parents who were far thinking individuals. They wanted all of us, two boys and three girls, to be independent, strong and able to use everything they were taught to come to their own decisions.

4. lions44 profile image100
    lions44posted 2 years ago

Job security over anything. They were born in the 20s, so they were deeply affected by unemployment. Plus my dad worked construction, so long bout of joblessness left its mark on them.  Can't blame them for that.  You have to understand where people are coming from before you judge.

working