What are the NINE things about old age that has consistently been proven to be......FALSE?
1) After age 30, it's all down hill. Actually, people reach their endurance peak at 40. How long they maintain it depends on their heath habits; people past 80 do the Ironman.
2) Most elderly people are in nursing homes. Actually, only 15% of them are. In 75% of those cases, they brought it on themselves through lifestyle.
3) Elderly people are forgetful. Actually, they're better able to remember things, especially the past, since they can compare it to the present. That's how Laura Ibgalls Wilder (Little House on the Prairie) was able to write her books.
4) Elderly people are rigid conservatives. In reality, life experience gives them extra wisdom to see things as they truly are, rather than following a conservative or liberal formula.
5) Elderly people despise youth. Actually, it is common for them to have great relationships with their elementary school grandchildren, and even teenagers, since they have more time for them than their parents.
6) Aging makes people ugly. In reality, a lot of times people's looks improve with age. John Denver is a perfect example.
7) Elderly people have a hard time learning anything new. Actually, returning students often do better than first timers, since they've learned how to study and have more motivation. I am a perfect example of this!
8) Elderly people lack creativity and adventure. In reality, retirement can free them to do things they've always dreamed of doing.
9) Elderly people resent growing old. Some may, but many realize growing old is better than they'd been taught.
Perfect answer. At 64, I often think these are my declining years. But as I give up some things, other, often better, things take their place! My finances are much better now, I have more hammock time, and much less stress!
I'll concur with most of the above. Between the ages of 59 and today - eighty - I've written about ten books, hundreds of essays and letters, been guest speaker to nearly 750 audiences Also go to the gym three times a week to pump iron.
by Peeples12 months ago
How to deal with turning 30 anxiety that is overwhelming?Rationally I know turning 30 is not old, yet I am suffering from severe anxiety and my birthday is 2 months away. I'm getting the type of anxiety that is making...
by Claudia Marie5 years ago
Why is it so difficult for the elderly to give up their independence?
by Joanna Chandler3 years ago
Do you live with elderly people how do you cope?I am 26yrs old I live with my granny and step grandad but there's nothing you can do to please my granny, she always complaining and is very miserable etc. Do you have a...
by ME Whelan20 months ago
What Are The Ways In Which Elderly People Become The Victims of "Unintentional Gaslighting"?There are several definitions of "gaslighting" (most people know what it is). A brief one is...
by Peeples4 years ago
At what age should yearly retesting for a drivers license begin? Or should it?While I was shopping in Target last week an elderly man drove through the front of the store. The same thing had happen in the next town over...
by Judy Specht6 years ago
What would you do if everything you believed in was suddenly proven to be false?
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.