jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

What are the NINE things about old age that has consistently been proven to be..

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 23 months ago

What are the NINE things about old age that has consistently been proven to be......FALSE?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12165734_f260.jpg

2. Say Yes To Life profile image81
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 23 months ago

1) After age 30, it's all down hill.  Actually, people reach their endurance peak at 40.  How long they maintain it depends on their heath habits; people past 80 do the Ironman.
    2) Most elderly people are in nursing homes.  Actually, only 15% of them are.  In 75% of those cases, they brought it on themselves through lifestyle.
    3) Elderly people are forgetful.  Actually, they're better able to remember things, especially the past, since they can compare it to the present.  That's how Laura Ibgalls Wilder (Little House on the Prairie) was able to write her books.
    4) Elderly people are rigid conservatives.  In reality, life experience gives them extra wisdom to see things as they truly are, rather than following a conservative or liberal formula.
    5) Elderly people despise youth.  Actually, it is common for them to have great relationships with their elementary school grandchildren, and even teenagers, since they have more time for them than their parents.
    6) Aging makes people ugly.  In reality, a lot of times people's looks improve with age.  John Denver is a perfect example.
    7) Elderly people have a hard time learning anything new.  Actually, returning students often do better than first timers, since they've learned how to study and have more motivation.  I am a perfect example of this!
    8) Elderly people lack creativity and adventure.  In reality, retirement can free them to do things they've always dreamed of doing.
    9) Elderly people resent growing old.  Some may, but many realize growing old is better than they'd been taught.

1. Austinstar profile image87
      Austinstarposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Perfect answer. At 64, I often think these are my declining years. But as I give up some things, other, often better, things take their place! My finances are much better now, I have more hammock time, and much less stress!

2. Tusitala Tom profile image61
      Tusitala Tomposted 23 months agoin reply to this

I'll concur with most of the above.   Between the ages of 59 and today - eighty - I've written about ten books, hundreds of essays and letters, been guest speaker to nearly 750 audiences  Also go to the gym three times a week to pump iron.

working