jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What is your opinion in coping with a different culture?

1. DDE profile image27
    DDEposted 20 months ago

What is your opinion  in coping with  a different culture?

I had to cope with a new culture and everything new around me. I challenged each day and did not give up in my now adopted country. How would you deal with such challenges?

2. manatita44 profile image84
    manatita44posted 20 months ago

Well, I was 21 when I came to the UK many moons ago. I had to adjust, like most. I suppose in some ways the racism can be the toughest, and I suffered some. Other things are much easier to adjust to, although perhaps I had an advantage. That is to say, we are a christian country, governed by the Queen with many similar institutions: banking, education, church or religion, government, law, language - a big one -  and so forth, all modelled on the UK model.

It is an interesting question though. We can bring additional things like wanting arranged marriage; tea-totallers, religion, dress habits and codes, to name a few. This can sometimes have an impact on how people see us. Some, for instance, do not like to see women who are totally veiled in what they consider impracticable places like in courts, or shopping malls and supermarkets ...language is potentially a struggle also.

When all is said and done, I go right back to spirituality. Guru Nanakdevji had followers from many faiths and Christ was very open even to the Samaritans. It is the depth of their Spirituality that made them so, and if we delve deeper and deeper into the Spirit, then we can eventually conquer all.

After 43 years, I would say that I have coped very well, although I have noticed that in general the one who succeeds, generally tries a bit harder; having a personality that helps better than the average Joe. Just one view, though. Interesting question.

P.s Christ said to render under Caesar the things that are Caesars, and unto God the things that are God's. Perhaps there is room for such philosophy in the West, in a very loving way. Works for me.

1. DDE profile image27
      DDEposted 20 months agoin reply to this

manatita44 I know what you mean. I experienced a different lifestyle when I moved to Croatia. Everything  with a hasty decision and I feel I had to move forward  to quickly. So much more has changed. Thank you.

2. manatita44 profile image84
      manatita44posted 20 months agoin reply to this

Yes, yes. Life is evolution. Everything changes, but this also includes our inner nature. We grow. Much Love

3. Matthew Woolsey profile image69
    Matthew Woolseyposted 20 months ago

Well first that's called shell shocked. And when I was in Iraq I was 18 and very shell shocked. Like you said just had to take it a day at time. Eventually you adapt to the culture, but you always feel like something is missing.

1. DDE profile image27
      DDEposted 20 months agoin reply to this

Yeah" Always feel something is missing. Interesting how a culture affects people so differently. Thank you

working