Did you cry when you gave birth?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Meg Moon profile image67
    Meg Moonposted 12 years ago

Every time I see someone give birth on the TV i cry my eyes out but when my own babies were born I never cried- not even a  bit. Just wondered what everyone else was like.

1. tohimilook profile image59
      tohimilookposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course I did, and so did my husband.  I was also scared. The pain was awful.  As I experienced this pain I said to myself, IF MOTHERS REMEMEMBED THE PAIN OF THE FIRST CHILD THEY WOULD JUST HAVE ONE
      I have three children and the pain was worth it.

2. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't cry but did get banned for other things hmmlol

2. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

i cried during the conception of my children

3. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

No, I just swore most ungenteely when it hurt.

4. Emma Harvey profile image83
    Emma Harveyposted 12 years ago

I thought I was quite calm, and I felt incredibly sober. My partner cried his eyes out which made me well up briefly - but that was due to tiredness. Emotionally I was almost numb for a while. A very strange feeling.

5. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I'm guessing it may depend on how afraid someone is that things aren't going to be OK with the baby.  I was plenty relaxed and sure of myself enough when it came to the process of labor (etc.), but I was really afraid something would go wrong and the baby wouldn't be OK.  (I had super-quick labors, and neither of my babies were in "standard" positions, so that didn't help.)  So, I did cry once I held them and knew they were OK.  OR, maybe it depends on how fast the labor is and how sudden any changes in adrenaline take. 

With the first delivery it was really bad. I was tense from the minute I knew I was in labor because it was six weeks too early.  The baby was breech.  The pregnancy had followed only one previous one that had ended in disaster at 20 weeks.  I just didn't let myself believe I'd be getting out of labor with a healthy, live, baby.  So, I think I probably had even more adrenaline than usual with that delivery.  I pretty much cried "hysterically" and felt like it wasn't going to stop. 

I cried with the next one (who got to 37 weeks), but it was a little more "normal crying".   smile

On the other side of things, I never had even the slightest bit of post-part um blues with either - so maybe getting all that emotion out of the way right after delivery helps.  smile

Then, too, I almost wonder if the mother's age and/or history has anything to do with it.  I was 29 and 32.  I wonder if younger mothers are still at the age when they're more likely to feel immune to having anything bad happen to them?  At around 30 (or so), with a history of miscarriage and premature delivery (and then with the next one threatening to deliver from October on (when she was due the third week in January), I had little reason to assume that nothing bad was likely to happen.  Even my doctor was a nervous mess, from October on, with that second one.  smile

(Maybe, too, it was because I was silent during the whole thing.  After all that self-control maybe a person has to go wild  once the baby's all here and safe.)   hmm

6. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

I'm not the crying type (I generally have a big cry every six months or so). I was never the hormonal one who cried during pregnancy or postpartum.

I had gas and air with my first, nothing but a water birth with my second. I didn't cry but:

For the FIRST one I argued with the midwife when my daughter was crowning. I told her there was no damn way I could push her out and that I wouldn't do it! She told me I could (and of course I did!)

With the SECOND one she was in a weird position and I don't think having her under water helped... I remember screaming at the midwife to get her out, because after her head was out, she wouldn't seem to move no matter how hard I pushed... so the midwife pulled her the rest of the way out.

I only swore once with the first and not at all with the second. Although with the second I was biting my husband's shorts (he was in the bath with me) and he was getting rather worried because I had his legs apart!

7. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Nope. I have a high tolerance for physical pain. I had three teenage daughters at the same time, however, and I cried plenty then. lol

1. wearing well profile image74
      wearing wellposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ditto, 3 natural births and no crying until my eldest became a teenager.....HELP !!!!!!

8. Sally's Trove profile image80
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

No crying giving birth...I was too busy. But even now, 30-some years later, when I hear a baby cry, I get all schmaltzy and even sometimes teary.

9. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I apparently misunderstood the question.  Oops.  hmm  I thought it meant did people cry once their baby was born - not during labor.  Again, oops - and no.  I said nothing, didn't yell, and didn't cry.

10. Meg Moon profile image67
    Meg Moonposted 12 years ago

Hi just to clarify my original point as I think there has been some misunderstanding- I meant upon seeing your newborn baby for the first time did you cry- as in happy emotional tears smile

1. Ciel Clark profile image72
      Ciel Clarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think seeing my two sons for the first time was the only time I experienced happy tears.  I didn't weep, but tears fell from my eyes as I looked at them.

11. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

Both, while in labor and upon seeing the baby, I cried silently. Silent tears of joy for the latter.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)