misdiagnosis?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (28 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image77
    schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years ago

Is it possible to be misdiagnosed and if so, how would it affect you?

1. kameras profile image60
      kamerasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It most certainly is not only possible, but happns every day.One only has to look at 10 years ago Doctor's conventional wisdom is being revised almost daily. Eggs are bad for us,then they are good for us,"Don't eat butter",Now margarine is bad for us. Truth is They really do not know.They rely on studies of population,given specific experiments of so many people, and then observe a trend.This is how they base their opinions.
      It certainly is a worry.

2. krillco profile image85
      krillcoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mental Health diagnoses are what is called 'differential', meaning that as more information on experienced symptoms is gained throughout the sessions, the diagnosis is refined and may change. Not enough clinicians work at doing that, simply giving and initial assessment and going with that. Many symptoms can represent more than one category of mental health diagnosis. In addition, mental health diagnoses are just categories, like a shorthand, to understand and describe an issue.

1. artist101 profile image61
        artist101posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Awesome answer.

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image77

I'll give some more info.

I was diagnosed as bipolar at 16yrs old. It's not a fun thing to discuss.

Mom said to me very recently that there was nothing wrong with me but she didn't want me to run away as I wanted to and
    as two of my older sisters did , ending up on the street selling illegal substances and getting into a lot of bad company. My other two sisters sweated it out (dealing w/ dad) till a little later. But there's a boiling point.

I only [b] said [\b] to them at the hospital I was suicidal to get help.
    I was just at a loss of what to do/break down/whatever

I've discussed this in hubs.

So-   thoughts?

Thanks smile

(But I got twenty years of free therapy roll lol)

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
      Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

ADHD can often be misdiagnosed as bipolar by an inexperienced doctor. Untreated ADHD has many of the ups and downs as the bipolar disorder does. It also has the characteristic fatigue and depression. My husband was misdiagnosed as bipolar, and he only had ADHD.

ADHD is most commonly attributed to low dopamine levels which is typically an early sign of niacin deficiency. My husband has to take about 6,000mg to 7,000mg a day of niacin to control his symptoms. Contrary to what many in the medical community say, unless you already have liver or kidney disease, niacin is not dangerous. (Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor).

Vitamin C deficiency can also cause depression, lack of concentration and fatigue. Many people need VERY large dosages of vitamin C a day, but the RDA is about 200mg. I take close to 10,000mg a day, and it has completely alleviated my depression and my migraines!

For more information on megadose vitamin therapy, visit Dr. Andrew Saul's website doctoryourself.com.

schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

thank you!! smile

btw....I wasn't suicidal. I had to sad that or they won't take you.)

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

Yes.  It's very possible for a person to be misdiagnosed.  I've known a few young people who had their diagnosis changed either after their mental-health professionals knew them better/longer or else when they switched doctors.  I'm not at all suggesting that I think you have been - only answering your question about whether people can be misdiagnosed.

How it would affect any one individual with any one condition, diagnoses, treatment and/or lack of any real mental health condition at all isn't something I'm qualified to answer.  In fact, I don't think anyone could answer that without a) being a psychiatrist and b) knowing the individual person, history, and everything that goes with it.

If you think there's the chance you may have been incorrectly diagnosed, that's something to talk honestly and calmly about to either a present doctor or one who could give you a second opinion.

agreed. thanks!

4. gsidley profile image71
    gsidleyposted 11 years ago

Psychiatric diagnoses are notoriously unreliable. It is common for people with long-standing mental health problems to have been given several different diagnoses within the psychiatric system. It would make more sense to focus on specific symptoms (e.g. low mood, voice-hearing, delusions) and target these rather than dubious "illness" labels.

1. meloncauli profile image90
      meloncauliposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are absolutely right gsidley. Diagnosis can be a flimsy affair with only the DSM as a handbook. We would all, at some point in our lives, fit into one of the disorders listed in there!

As for bipolar...years ago when I suffered panic disorder, I would have awful spells and better spells. When I had awful spells of the disorder, my mood sank. Naturally, those worst times made me react mood wise. I felt negative during those times. When I had a better few weeks my mood lifted and I became optimistic. This mood change was interpreted as bipolar and I was offered lithium three times! I kept declining as I could see the logic to my mood changes. Thank goodness I refused the lithium as it was totally unnecessary.
      Too quick to label....too easy to label.

hmm

2. artist101 profile image61
        artist101posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Too many labels.

I'm wondering if I can feel even better than I do now which in my mind would require more decrease in pills. With the doctor.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

http://gallery.usgs.gov/images/08_16_2010/dHXk0ONba7_08_16_2010/large/Black-bellied_Whistling_ducks.jpg
    My general opinion of our American medical profession...

lol lol
      i needed that!

wow....

6. schoolgirlforreal profile image77

I just published a hub w/ more info, if you're interested. thankyu

7. Bedbugabscond profile image93
    Bedbugabscondposted 11 years ago

In my psychology class we talked about a period of time where bipolar disorder was a common diagnosis. Now, it is coming out that many of those diagnosis's were not correct. Back then, there were fewer choices for diseases that fall in to that category. Now, the development in the field of personality disorders, depression and autism spectrum disorders have changed everything.

If you feel you have been misdiagnosed you should investigate and find a good doctor. I was once misdiagnosed with a hematoma, turns out I had a tumor. If my parents had not fought for a better diagnosis I could have been in real danger. It is your health, you have rights, and it is important to stand up for them so you can get the correct diagnosis and treatment.

A friend of mine asked me if I thought I had PMDD.
      I took an online test and I think I do.
      This may explain the possible misdiagnosis because pmdd is wicked bad pms for 2weeks before.. so since I'm no longer angry everyday, as was on lithium, I can see the difference, but now I notice I feel crappy before the day. so, yeah.
      Then I can see after I figure that out, if I can do without all the other crap pills I'm on. who knows. thank you

8. ftclick profile image55
    ftclickposted 11 years ago

I knew of the PMDD symptom but not the term. I knew someone who was always angry 3 weeks out of a month before the ring of course. Yeah, that divorce is final

not surprised!
      I don't know what I have. I'm in the process of discovering it still. thx

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My wife was diagnosed as schizophrenic in 1985. She was re-diagnosed as manic depressive in 1988, then she was re-diagnosed in 1991 as bi-polar. She has lived, medication free since 1992, when we decided that everybody was full of crap.

1. gsidley profile image71
          gsidleyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Druid David, I like your style!

Great to hear your wife is functioning well without medication.

9. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

When insurance is involved, the psychiatrist has to diagnose something to get paid. Fortunately - almost every kind of thinking is listed as some form of psychological disease.

lol hmm

10. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

OMG, SFR.
    Are they still going off that phony bipolar/suicidal diagnosis from your teens? When you admit you lied about being suicidal so you could get treatment!??
    And what does it say about our mental health system that you have to lie about being suicidal to get help? I've experienced that up close and personal. Having my son "turned away" from inpatient treatment because he was NOT suicidal.
    lol

If you're concerned about misdiagnosis, insist on being rediagnosed. That is your right.
    If you are on a cocktail of drugs and still not feeling right, then they are not working.
    And maybe that is because they are treating the wrong thing!

And yes, bipolar has been, for several years now, the "catchall" diagnosis and I firmly believe it hurts more than it helps.
    My two cents.

Thank you MM
      that's very good advice.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)