Happy 4th of July! and interesting info

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (45 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 10 years ago

From Wikipedia:

During the American Revolution, the legal separation of the Thirteen Colonies from Great Britain occurred on July 2, 1776, when the Second Continental Congress voted to approve a resolution of independence that had been proposed in June by Richard Henry Lee of Virginia declaring the United States independent from Great Britain.[4][5] After voting for independence, Congress turned its attention to the Declaration of Independence, a statement explaining this decision, which had been prepared by a Committee of Five, with Thomas Jefferson as its principal author. Congress debated and revised the wording of the Declaration, finally approving it on July 4. A day earlier, John Adams had written to his wife Abigail:

" The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.[6] "

Adams's prediction was off by two days. From the outset, Americans celebrated independence on July 4, the date shown on the much-publicized Declaration of Independence, rather than on July 2, the date the resolution of independence was approved in a closed session of Congress.[7]

Happy Independence Day to everyone in the U.S.A.!!
    And hopefully it won't be long before we gain independence from the tyranny we're now under from the leadership,  just as the people gained their independence from the tyranny of the King of Great Britain those many years ago................

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh so close!  It was almost a wonderful patriotic post without any political agenda at all.

Missed it by "this" much.

Too bad neither Jefferson or Adams were Christians... or you could have slipped religion in there too.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Apparently you didn't read the whole thing.
        It was Adams who mentioned "religion"  (actually, he said God Almighty).

And I didn't "miss" anything, and wasn't trying to adhere to any perceived notion of yours anyway.  ha.

All three elements-------patriotism, politics, and acknowledgement of God the Creator-------are intertwined in the tradition of celebrating the 4th of July in America,  and always have been.    Maybe you missed that all these years............

Adams was a Unitarian.

You said Unitarians aren't Christians...

Ergo, Adams wasn't a Christian.

Don't pull the patriotism crap on me Brenda.  I was practically born with a flag in my hand.  I have enough respect for the US to respect the commander-in-chief... no matter whether I like him or not.

1. profile image0

I didn't make any judgement about Adams at all.
            I simply said he mentioned God Almighty.
            I have no idea whether Adams was a Christian or not, and it doesn't matter in this situation.  He mentioned God Almighty and worshipping Him.
            And I have no idea if all Unitarians are of the same non-doctrine as you are or not, Melissa!  lol.   (You said earlier that "they" have no doctrine,  that you have no doctrine,  but then you also said you're both a Unitarian and a Universalist.
            Whatever!

And I respect the Office of the President of the United States.   But not the current person sitting in that Office.    To respect someone even if they're not respectable, and especially if they're a tyrant,  would be foolish AND unpatriotic.

UU's have no doctrine. Unitarians do. 

Unitarian is pretty self-explanatory in doctrine, especially when you compare it to Trinitarian. No Trinity.

But that's neither here nor there.

The office and the person are the same for all intents in purpose.  Commander-in-Chief, specifically, is the office I respect. 

You can mutter under your breath all you like, I guess, but the office and the man holding it command the greatest fighting force on the face of the planet.  The very same institution that protects your right to be nasty and biting about it's Commander.  Try and show some respect.

1. profile image0

Respect?
                If you want to show respect for the man who shows NO respect for you or for any other American, no respect for the lives of little babies, no respect for God, no respect for anyone or anything except his own ego, you go ahead.   I don't have to respect manipulators and tyrants, and he's in those categories. 
                You should try and show some respect for people who show good morality and for patriots.  Obama isn't one of those.

Come on.  I bet you can do it if you set your mind to it.   There's a first time for 'most everything.......

Yes Brenda I do.

Maybe it's a difference in how we were raised.  I was raised that you have respect for the Armed Forces.  Every single member of such.  With each rank, your display of respect should increase.  Now I'll tell you what, if Obama slapped me across the face, I would still salute the man. Because he is the Commander-In-Chief of the United State Armed Forces.

You salute the flag. You stand at attention for the National Anthem. You call everybody in a uniform Sir or Maam. And you respect the Commander-In-Chief.

Seems simple to me.

1. profile image0

Oh my.
                    And here I thought you were all for freedom and individual rights,  yet you'd let Obama slap you?!
                    LOLOL.    I can't imagine how anyone would allow someone to tyrannize them like that.  I'm astonished!  I thought you had more self-respect than that.
                    If he slapped me, I'd slap him back, or else sue his pants off.   If he ever shows some respect for people, then I might respect him.   As it stands right now, the only thing I have to respect him as...is the fact that he's a human being with a soul that needs to be saved.   I am commanded to do that, and only that, by One Commander who's much higher than he is.

2. Silverspeeder profile image62
      Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When will the original inhabitants gain independence from tyranny?

1. Zelkiiro profile image86
        Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The Native Americans are pretty much doomed at this point. And it's all thanks to the US government!

USA!! USA!! USA!!

3. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

So, Brenda, why spoil a perfectly good holiday with your obviously biased political commentary?  The electorate had spoken in 2012, so why don't you get with the program? I was not fond of neither GW Bush nor Ronald Reagan, but I never considered either of them tyrants as they won in free and open elections. Your right wing soap box is wobbly, at best.

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!

1. profile image0

No one except liberals like you is trying to spoil anything.    Us conservatives don't let liberals spoil the 4th for us nor for the majority of other citizens.   Just because some people only want to use it as a day to party without even taking thought as to what it's for doesn't mean the rest of us don't know what it's all about.

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY, AMERICAN PATRIOTS!!   smile

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
          Disappearingheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Happy rebellion of the 13 colonies day? One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist. It's so ironic isn't it? A bunch of uppity colonials rebelling against the nation that gave them birth only to commit genocide of the natives whose lands you stole.

USA! USA! Excuse me whilst I ask the cat to stop laughing.

2. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image74
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 10 years ago

Hey Brenda,

I hope I don’t get banned again, like when I posted on your “Thanks to God for our military personnel” thread. Who can forget that one?

This is my take. Personally, I look to the Bible for answers. Two verses in the last chapter of Hebrews seem to me to be the most relevant to the discussion.

Hebrews 13:7: “Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.”

Hebrews 13:17: “Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, and they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable.”

I take special note of “who have spoken unto you the word of God” and “they watch out for your soul” in those two verses.

Now, some would say those verses pertain to spiritual leaders. In a sense the president of this country is (or should be) a “spiritual” leader. 

The first two questions that I would regarding any “spiritual” leader are:

1. Is this leader telling the truth?
    2. Is this leader trustworthy?   

So my conclusion, for me personally, is that I will support Barack Obama, as president, but not on issues where he is speaking or acting contrary to the Word of God.

1. profile image0

Then you won't support him on very many issues!  LOL.
      Because he's anti-God on most of them;  everything that comes out of his mouth is colored by his deep disrespect for Christianity.
      Those verses don't apply to him, even.
      For one thing, he isn't meant to "rule" over anybody!   He's not a King like in Bible days.   America was meant to be "ruled" by the people through elected and chosen Officials who are to serve as THEIR servants.
      You're correct in taking into account those words "watch for your souls", and "spoken to you the word of God"............because Obama doesn't do either of those!   His whole agenda, his whole intent, is contrary to the word of God.

There's no reason for you to get banned!   Wasn't any reason before that I know of.   But yeah, the animosity and controversy still seems to be popping up,  but not like it was before, so far.

I'm looking forward to celebrating the 4th!   We have a local celebration here in this little town,  with concessions, a live band, and of course fireworks.   We'll go to that, or else watch the fireworks from our backyard, which is very close to the Park.
      What do you have planned, if I may ask?

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image74
        BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Brenda, you asked what I had planned.

Remember the Alamo!

I only said that because my son and his wife and their 6-month-old son are coming up from Texas. I've only seen him once.

Incidentally, his wife was born in Mexico and didn't begin to really learn English until she was 13. She spells words in her e-mails to me like pixelsweet does over on that "same sex is a sin" thread, which is why I offered that English may not be her first language.

Maybe I shouldn't mention the Alamo in view of my daughter-in-law's heritage.

1. profile image0

No matter what, I hope you have a great day and a great visit with your family.
          All I know is that I don't let anyone or anything make me ignore the sacrifices of our soldiers or the perseverance of our ancestors as citizens in gaining and keeping our independence from tyranny,  and I will never be ashamed of being an American, even if I am ashamed of some of the people who call themselves American leaders and patriots.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58

I will even agree with that to a point. However, in any case you certainly shouldn't slander him.  Disrespecting the symbols of your country also disrespects your country.

3. profile image0

Boy, some people just don't want anyone else to have fun, especially, it seems, in celebrating Independence Day!    Amazing!

4. profile image0

LET FREEDOM RING!
    LET THE WHITE DOVE SING!
    LET THE WHOLE WORLD KNOW THAT TODAY IS A DAY OF RECKONING....
    oh....those last lines are from a country song I think.....
    but applicable.

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image74
      BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If it's by the Dixie Chicks I'm not buying it.

1. profile image0

I think it's Martina McBride.

5. profile image0

It just keeps raining here.   This is the third day in a row, I think...........
    Hope it doesn't rain out the 4th of July celebration on Thursday.
    But hey, even if it does, remembrance of Independence Day is still on the table as always!!   Yay!

6. profile image0

Courtesy of the Red White and Blue!

http://youtu.be/ruNrdmjcNTc

1. Zelkiiro profile image86
      Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Shyte sucks. Listen to "Gettysburg" instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M155Er6PFz0

7. profile image0

Well, it's lookin' like it's not gonna rain today!   Cool.  smile

8. profile image0

Answer it for yourself, if you dare.

http://digital.library.okstate.edu/kappler/vol2/toc.htm

In addition to living freely on reservations (or elsewhere if they choose)........

Native Americans on reservations receive these benefits according to Wikipedia:

"As a special privilege the American Indians in reservations do not have to pay taxes of any income or trade made upon their tribal land and they (officially) receive free health care. This supportive measures are badly needed because many are on federal welfare and social benefits."

1. Silverspeeder profile image62

Well that's nice of the colonialist take all the land and give them a little back to live on.

9. profile image0

The Declaration of Independence: A Transcription

IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.
        He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.
        He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.
        He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.
        He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.
        He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.
        He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.
        He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.
        He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.
        He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.
        He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.
        He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil power.
        He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:
        For Quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:
        For protecting them, by a mock Trial, from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:
        For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:
        For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:
        For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury:
        For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences
        For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies:
        For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:
        For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.
        He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.
        He has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.
        He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.
        He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.
        He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our Brittish brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

The 56 signatures on the Declaration appear in the positions indicated:

Column 1
    Georgia:
       Button Gwinnett
       Lyman Hall
       George Walton

Column 2
    North Carolina:
       William Hooper
       Joseph Hewes
       John Penn
    South Carolina:
       Edward Rutledge
       Thomas Heyward, Jr.
       Thomas Lynch, Jr.
       Arthur Middleton

Column 3
    Massachusetts:
    John Hancock
    Maryland:
    Samuel Chase
    William Paca
    Thomas Stone
    Charles Carroll of Carrollton
    Virginia:
    George Wythe
    Richard Henry Lee
    Thomas Jefferson
    Benjamin Harrison
    Thomas Nelson, Jr.
    Francis Lightfoot Lee
    Carter Braxton

Column 4
    Pennsylvania:
       Robert Morris
       Benjamin Rush
       Benjamin Franklin
       John Morton
       George Clymer
       James Smith
       George Taylor
       James Wilson
       George Ross
    Delaware:
       Caesar Rodney
       George Read
       Thomas McKean

Column 5
    New York:
       William Floyd
       Philip Livingston
       Francis Lewis
       Lewis Morris
    New Jersey:
       Richard Stockton
       John Witherspoon
       Francis Hopkinson
       John Hart
       Abraham Clark

Column 6
    New Hampshire:
       Josiah Bartlett
       William Whipple
    Massachusetts:
       Samuel Adams
       John Adams
       Robert Treat Paine
       Elbridge Gerry
    Rhode Island:
       Stephen Hopkins
       William Ellery
    Connecticut:
       Roger Sherman
       Samuel Huntington
       William Williams
       Oliver Wolcott
    New Hampshire:
       Matthew Thornton

1. Silverspeeder profile image62

Did any native American Indians sign it?

10. profile image0

I hope every patriotic American citizen had a good celebration yesterday, or will have this weekend!
    I had a good time;  went to the local Park here where there was food, fun,  a live band, and some pretty good fireworks.    The best part was when the band sang The Star Spangled Banner and everyone saluted the Flag of course.

11. profile image0

Happy Independence Day!!  smile

http://youtu.be/Rff33qfa4o0

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)