jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Are New Years resolutions overrated?

1. j.amie profile image61
    j.amieposted 7 years ago

Are New Years resolutions overrated?

2. Debby Bruck profile image73
    Debby Bruckposted 7 years ago

Not at all. Each year we take stock of where we have been and where we wish to be. Even if we have not succeeded in fulfilling our mission, each day, week, month, and year becomes an annual cycle to renew and motivate again. When we stop trying we do not progress. Good luck in the new year.

3. joleenruffin profile image59
    joleenruffinposted 7 years ago

No, I think its a great opportunity to look at where you've been, what you've done over the last year and set some goals for the following year.

4. rwelton profile image72
    rweltonposted 7 years ago

YES.  Definitely overrated.

However, I submit that WHENEVER you take stock of your path in life and you have an idea to improve it - DO IT NOW (Note: There is no link to Amazon or NIKE here).  Why wait for the first of January? 

The concept is flawed that you have a better chance of success if you eat black-eyed peas, stand on your left foot and look to the North, etc. and magically become a better person on Jan.1. 

I would ask:  where is your personal accountability for the other 364 days?
    rlw

5. puregrace profile image67
    puregraceposted 7 years ago

Yes, and I agree with rwelton that you can take stock of your life whenever you want to.
    I think people tend to get so disappointed with themselves whenever they make new year's resolutions and break them.
    It's because they cannot really achieve true keeping of their resolutions because they are not perfect and need Someone outside of themselves to give them the pure desire and His strength to do what is good and right at the moment.
    We cannot rely on ourselves without messing up, so let's no dwell on ourselves but on the One who can work His good in us.
    Without us being so aware of it, He will be changing us in ways that will affect change in us in all the areas we need to change!
    I'm excited to see God changing me - I am quite different from who I was as a high school graduate.

6. awoodog profile image59
    awoodogposted 7 years ago

That depends on how you look at it. If you take a resolution as a future goal, then it is a good thing.

7. sammyfiction profile image59
    sammyfictionposted 7 years ago

Totally. Most of the time unachievable as well.

8. kimbles profile image47
    kimblesposted 7 years ago

NO - It does not matter how good or hard they are it gives everyone a boost going into the new year. After maybe over spending at Christmas or putting a bad year behind them it gives you new belief that you can do something good or make a change for the year ahead.

It might be that you forget all about it 3-4 weeks in but that doesn't stop you from entering the new year with a positive attitude which can only be good?

working