What's the origin of 'Thanksgiving'?

1. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

What's the origin of 'Thanksgiving'?

I'm from the UK not the USA so I don't celebrate 'Thanksgiving'. But I'm really interested to know the origins and why the American people have this holiday.

2. rlaha profile image69
    rlahaposted 6 years ago

When we were kids in school we were taught that the origin of Thanksgiving was when the first settlers landed on Plymouth Rock in Virginia.  They met the native American Indians and became friends.  When the harvest time came, both the settlers and the American Indians sat down and had a meal together from the crops they had grown or raised.

3. msviolets profile image83
    msvioletsposted 6 years ago

When the first settlers came to America, they barely made it through the Winter.  Many died, and those who survived, survived solely by the grace of the Native Americans hospitality. 
    In the spring, the Native Americans taught the settlers how to cultivate crops. 
    When the settlers brought in their first harvest, they held a large celebration, which included their Native American neighbors, to celebrate the fact that they could provide for themselves, giving thanks for the help provided and the generous harvest that would get them through the next winter. 
    We celebrate Thanksgiving in memory of that feast, to remember to give thanks, and that we are blessed. 
    It's also become the gateway to the Christmas season.  Since it falls on Thursday, most people take a 4 day weekend and begin their Christmas shopping on Friday.  Stores put up Christmas decorations, and things are festive for the next 30 days or so.

working