jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

What are you celebrating this time of year? Christmas? Hanukkah? Yule? Kwanza? S

1. Earl S. Wynn profile image80
    Earl S. Wynnposted 6 years ago

What are you celebrating this time of year? Christmas? Hanukkah? Yule? Kwanza? Saturnalia?

If you're celebrating, that is. . . Nothing wrong with December just being another month!

2. Rock_nj profile image92
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

You forgot Festivus!  LOL!  Why is it so many holidays happen this time of the year?  First day of winter/pagan holidays?

3. JosieLee profile image76
    JosieLeeposted 6 years ago

My family and I celebrate Christmas the mexican way. We have some good ol' tamales and lost mexican cookies. My family like menudo but I think it is gross. Let's not forget the mexican christmas parties. Those parties are pretty funny.

4. SylvieReisdon profile image61
    SylvieReisdonposted 6 years ago

It's pretty much just another day, i've never really celebrate it.

5. melbel profile image98
    melbelposted 6 years ago

I'm celebrating Hanukkah and secular Christmas

6. xXRaelliaXx profile image60
    xXRaelliaXxposted 6 years ago

I won't really be celebrating this year. The family doesn't have enough money, and we just managed to recover from a fire. We're lucky to be getting the whole house redone for free. But whatever you personally celebrate, I wish for it to be delightful.

7. JenJen0703 profile image84
    JenJen0703posted 6 years ago

Hi, Rock_nj.  I think it is because there is such a diversity of cultures.  People believe different things depending on where they came from.  Christmas is Jesus' birthday, to celebrate his birth.  That is how we celebrate Christmas in my home.  It does not matter how or what we celebrate.  Are we coming together in unison to celebrate and mingle with those we love?  Is harmony the outcome?  That is the most important question.

8. possum lover profile image57
    possum loverposted 6 years ago

I very proudly celebrate Christmas time!!!

9. Nokchill profile image56
    Nokchillposted 6 years ago

I love this time of year not only for the season, but the reflections of life and all it encompasses.  I want to make sure I learn from my successes as well as my mistakes all year around.   And  when this time comes around next year I'm able to reevaluate again and be thankful for the evolution of the resolution made.  I think it's a valuable gift to give yourself!  Merry X-mas and a Happy New Year!!!

10. David Legg 7 profile image73
    David Legg 7posted 6 years ago

Christmas... and a merry Christmas to you. May you have a blessed day!
    David

11. pclegal profile image60
    pclegalposted 6 years ago

This is an incomplete list of festivals and holidays that take place during the winter or late autumn in the northern hemisphere. Many festivals of light take place in this period since the shortest day of the year in the northern hemisphere is the Winter Solstice. The time of year is generally referred to as the holiday season, which is where the term "Happy Holidays" originated.

12. jonnycomelately profile image83
    jonnycomelatelyposted 6 years ago

Grateful it's all over!  I don't celebrate christmas now.  It's a painful time.  Memories of just a few which were just ok, but most in my life have been either lonely, or unhappy.  Now that I have chucked into the rubbish bin all that business about a baby being born without a man having had sex with the mother; and the idea that someone is up in the sky ready to spank me for doing something others say I shouldn't;  it's a sort of freedom, but it can be very lonely.
    Now I can get back to some routines, and this makes me cheerful already.

13. aneka profile image60
    anekaposted 6 years ago

I celebrate the New Year and make determinations to improve my life.  I practice Nichiren Buddhism where I chant Nam-myoho-Renge-Kyo, which is the mystic law of cause and effect.  I believe that every cause has an effect.  If I change my life, and the way I look at it from within, the environment around me will change.  I pray for victory, wisdom, courage and compassion.

14. Yahl profile image60
    Yahlposted 5 years ago

Nothing. smile I don't believe in anything mentioned at the top.

working