jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

How long do you typically keep your New Year's Resolutions?

1. prektjr.dc profile image86
    prektjr.dcposted 5 years ago

How long do you typically keep your New Year's Resolutions?

Many of us make them and actually start out the new year with all the best intentions of keeping them.  Most all of us only succeed for a short while.  How long do you manage to keep yours?  What is the reason behind your success or failure?

2. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 5 years ago

In general, New Year's resolutions are a reminder of my deficits in will-power. I therefore, do not engage in such activities. A few years ago, I wrote up 76 ways I could make my life better by changing this, that, and the next thing, but I only managed to succeed on 3 of them.

I have always failed at New Year's resolutions, but have found success whenever I feel a strong need to change something. For me, the changing over from one year to the next is not sufficient grounds for me to embark upon a new journey or way of life. What works for me is a spiritual renewal or re-commitment to following my Heavenly Father's will.

1. prektjr.dc profile image86
      prektjr.dcposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That daily renewing of heart and mind are the most important!  76 is a LOT of things to change!  I would not have been successful there either!  Thanks for commenting!

3. Cristale profile image84
    Cristaleposted 5 years ago

I make small and attainable goals that I can and do keep because they are easy. I stopped making bigger ones because then I just don't care any more. Easy new year's resolutions and before I know it, the bigger goals are accomplished without noticing or trying.

1. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Indeed, Cristale, it is all about taking "baby steps". As my dear mother always says, "Inch by inch...everything's a cinch. Yard by yard...everything seems so hard." Good rules to live by. :0)

2. prektjr.dc profile image86
      prektjr.dcposted 5 years agoin reply to this

So true!  It really is so much better to set yourself up for success!  Good plan!  Thanks for answering!

working