jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Is Valentine's Day a pointless holiday?

1. profile image60
    Clayton61636posted 3 years ago

Is Valentine's Day a pointless holiday?

2. lisavollrath profile image97
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

It used to be celebrated by secretly sending a card or flowers to your loved ones, without a signature, which I think is a very sweet way to mark the day. Now, I think it's turned into another marketing ploy to get people to buy a bunch of expensive stuff to prove their love.

1. Robert the Bruce profile image60
      Robert the Bruceposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Good summation.

3. Zelkiiro profile image93
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

Honestly, all holidays are kinda pointless. Their entire purpose is just to have some excuse to take a day off and celebrate roughly once a month. "It's, uhh...the vernal equinox! We'd better have a get-together this Sunday, because, umm...fertility gods? Deific autoresurrection? Rabbits...and...chocolate...???"

But it's a pointless thing that also happens to be a popular thing, and I'm certainly not gonna be the guy who goes against the idea of kicking back every now and then.

4. connorj profile image78
    connorjposted 3 years ago

Absolutely not; I believe love rules this day much more than hate. Especially relative to other days in our calendar. Thus it is far from pointless unless one detests love, perhaps. Now enjoy this day...

5. genuineaid lm profile image46
    genuineaid lmposted 3 years ago

Yes, Valentine's Day is pointless to me, but maybe not pointless to Valentine. wink