The Library Is a Wonderful Thing

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I haven't had cable TV for almost a month now.

I've got 5 good books for Labor Day Weekend.

Stuart Woods
    Year's best Sci-Fi
    Michael Crichton
    Robin Cook
    Tom Clancy

1. God is in kitchen profile image61
      God is in kitchenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it's a great hallucinogen lol

2. Stacie L profile image86
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

The library seems so antiquated now;with downloading books and online programs. It's become a community center which is a better use overall. I think it's quaint that you have actual books to read. lol

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm a quaint kind of guy.

1. Tired Buzzard profile image59
        Tired Buzzardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And there's just something about the feel and smell of books that no old online program or Kindle can replicate. smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the sneezing and the wheezing and the mold. The good old days smile

I do like the smell of a new book but I have a Kindle and would never want to give it up.

3. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 11 years ago

As well as a library, we have some great charity shops that do three paperback books for £1.00 (about $1.50).

When we finally got around to upgrading to digital (because they switched the analogue TV signal off lol), it meant we got about 20 TV channels instead of 4. Having an extra 16 channels doesn't mean we watch more TV though.

I can't imagine paying for cable or its equivalent; it simply wouldn't be worth it for us 'cos we just don't watch that much TV. And we can't afford it.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image60
      CASE1WORKERposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now I have a Kindle I am trying to get rid of those bargain paper backs- the charity shops are full of them- but luckily I work at a University and there are always piles of reading matter in the offices- the piles are getting bigger!

4. Dee aka Nonna profile image61
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 11 years ago

I think it is great that you are visiting and using your local library.  I love libraries and I love used book stores.  They are great places to go work, explore and do some good old fashion research.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Strangely enough, this "antiquated" environment is one of the best for New Direction Education!

5. securityproducts3 profile image39
    securityproducts3posted 11 years ago

This is debatable. I personally am not a huge fan of the library!

6. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

Library is a wonderful place to do a research when you have no internet at home. Now, in this modern times, I usually do my research online but I do borrow books in the library for reading at bed times.

7. austinhealy profile image72
    austinhealyposted 11 years ago

Libraries are definitely a wonderful thing ! My local one has tons of books (imagine that !) but also movies on DVD, music on CDs and computers for everyone to check their Hubpages. Great place to meet people local too. Anybody who likes books can't be all bad...

Anybody who likes to satisfy his own curiosity about life can't be all bad.   

Parents, make sure your kids learn how to read when they are young! The world is so full of wonderful things and the library provides the quiet environment conducive to reading and contemplating.   If the Library does not set the boundary of silence, it should. Libraries should be places for quiet, for the sake of the ability to concentrate.

1. puregrace profile image69
        puregraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed!

8. puregrace profile image69
    puregraceposted 11 years ago

Our family loves the library. Our kids go at least twice a week, play on the computers, research some titles and topics, borrow twenty books (at least), and within the week, are ready for more.
    Our son's vocabulary scores are above the top on tests and his knowledge of literature is way up there. At 15, we're not sure where he'll end up, but it probably will have to do with books!!! Though he does love his i-Touch.

1. puregrace profile image69
      puregraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wanted to add - because of the library and since we home school, our kids have all begun reading words at four years of age. The picture books at the library are perfect for the littlest ones to begin seeing words and the order of letters, as parents read them and point out the letters to the most interesting of words. These kinds of books are too expensive to buy but a few for most families. The library is the place for those kinds of books, plus all the non-fiction type that are good for research and discovering topics of all kinds.

9. classicalgeek profile image81
    classicalgeekposted 11 years ago

Indeed, libraries are terrific! I volunteer at my local library (and wrote a hub about it, naturally). Last week I took one of my eleven-year-old piano students to get her very first library card. Not only do I get access to research materials that just are not available online, but I also don't have to wait for best-sellers, and I can get audiobooks and watch opera DVDs (or listen to the CDs) for some of my voice students to see if the roles might be suited to their voices. And even though I personally own eight million pages of sheet music, the library has all sorts of music I can't find because it's been out of print.

In addition, most libraries, even little ones, often have special collections that the ordinary patron may not know about. I've held a baton that Igor Stravinsky conducted our local orchestra with, thanks to a behind-the-scenes look at my library (it pays to know  your librarian).

Also, the research departments of libraries know all kinds of things. As a graduate student, I once had to find every periodical in my field. The other students with the assignment walked up and down the rows peering at the library shelves; I went to the research desk and asked if there was a catalogue of all the periodicals published in the world, categorized by field (there is). Even my instructor in graduate school was unaware of the catalogue, and she was so frustrated and mad I knew something that she didn't, it was a wonder I passed the class!

So libraries are way more than moldly old books (oh, I read magazines there, too, instead of subscribing).

10. Cody Rine profile image40
    Cody Rineposted 11 years ago

i like that. well put

Cody, you must wear a shirt in the library... and put away that cell phone.

11. Cody Rine profile image40
    Cody Rineposted 11 years ago

haha I'll remember that

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)