jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why is it people read?

1. vanzant730 profile image66
    vanzant730posted 8 years ago

Why is it people read?

Why do you take the time to read a book? Personally, I read to escape my mediocre life. I like to read about people that rise from poverty to go onto do great things. But what do you think?

2. alysia28 profile image58
    alysia28posted 8 years ago

I think people read to do basically the same thing you said, to escape reality. I LOVE to read mainly because I too like to escape reality. However, I also love to read books and my brain will chose random actors from hollywood that I like and plant them into my brain while Im reading, and therefore a movie plays out in my head, and it's a movie only I can watch. I love movies just as much as I love books. I also love to show off my collection of books since I'm vain that way. Except a lot of my family doesn't like to read and I get put down for it.....

3. Born Again 05 profile image81
    Born Again 05posted 8 years ago

To read fiction is to enter into the author's imagination and journey into unknown places "meeting" new people. Yes it is good to escape for a little while into a good story. Reading non fiction helps us increase our knowledge about topics that interest us or teaches us something new.

4. N.E. Wright profile image81
    N.E. Wrightposted 8 years ago

When I became a teenager I read books, because, for a year -- after my family and I moved into our first home from the Projects -- I was sad .... 

See, I could not easily go out and find friends, because most of the kids in our new neighborhood were either years younger than me, or my age, but male.  My siblings were fine.  I was lonely.

My mother decided to get me Nancy Drew books.  It was too cool.  That and the school library was great.

Reading to me is the best form of escape.  Your mind comes up with the visuals.

My son even loves to read though he is still, learning.  So, I read to him.

Yeah, reading is our great escape.

5. karpouzian profile image61
    karpouzianposted 8 years ago

I read because I can visit a dungeon full of Orcs, be flying on a spaceship around an unknown planet, or sitting on the sandy beach, waiting for the perfect person to come along.  I can soar through the skies on the wings of an eagle, and I can ride on the back of a giant turtle.  I can....  ZzzZZZzzz  (Reading also helps me fall asleep!)

6. Miss D profile image53
    Miss Dposted 8 years ago

I read to escape the world around me, immerse myself in another time and place. I also read to gain knowledge about all types of things.

Closed to reply

working