What is your favorite form of writing (to write not read)?

1. Mighty Mom profile image84
    Mighty Momposted 8 years ago

What is your favorite form of writing (to write not read)?

2. profile image0
    RS Wightposted 8 years ago

That's a really difficult question, just because there are so many different ways to answer it.  Already I have spent 45 minutes just thinking about how to approach it!

I can, unequivocally and without an ounce of reservation, say that I hate technical writing with a passion that most people reserve natural disasters.

I write best in pure prose; which really doesn't answer your question.  My greatest difficulty is in dialogue, I hear it just fine... when I am writing my characters are constantly talking, but writing it down tends to really kick my butt.  If I could write an entire novel without ever having to tell you what anyone said, I would definitely try to get away with it!  Prose are just easier for me to get away with.

Still, I love to write fantasy.  I have always built my own worlds, even when there weren't stories to go with them.  I will frequently find that, even when writing informative pieces, I am simultaneously creating a world in my head where a) this is the most fascinating stuff in the world and the people would bring me truckloads of chocolate for providing them with such wonderful stories, b) this stuff would be considered torture and whoever was requiring it would die a torturous death by large, hairy spiders or c) I had gone to a dimension where any form of creativity was banned under penalty of death.

Seriously though, through fantasy feel that I am better able to explore themes like the balance between choice and destiny or power and consequence because I can introduce situations that would never arise in our own world and then see how the pieces fall.

Still, there is something to be said for pure prose!

3. Christopher Floyd profile image60
    Christopher Floydposted 8 years ago

For me, its the kind that just spills out and demands to be written.  The kind where you look up three or four hours later with a completed work, grinning.
    A simpler answer: short fiction.

Closed to reply

working