jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Recommend me a book

1. Ema Winter profile image54
    Ema Winterposted 8 years ago

Recommend me a book

I want to read something actual, modern, not a lovestory, not a sweet lachrymatory writing.

2. Ian Ganahl profile image60
    Ian Ganahlposted 8 years ago

One thing I can suggest, is the book that I love the most.  And that book is: The Count of Monte Cristo. By Alexandre Dumas. 

Although the book doesn't meet your quota of modern, it is a very well written book, with various themes attached to it.  Anything from high seas adventures, to revenge, loyalty, riches, treasure and greed, etc.

It is very well worth reading.

3. sasanqua profile image80
    sasanquaposted 8 years ago

I am recommending "Everything is Illuminated" By Jonathan Safran Foer.

My boyfriend (who is sitting next to me as I write this) would like to recommend "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.

Both of these books have been made into films.

4. profile image0
    loriamooreposted 8 years ago

At the risk of sounding self-promoting, if you want to read something actual and real that isn't syrupy, I have two new books out.

From Zero to Christian in Just 35 Years

Missing Andy:  The Journey From Grief to Joy

Both are very short reads (approx. 100 pages each).

Available at www.TatePublishing.com.

5. Ema Winter profile image54
    Ema Winterposted 8 years ago

Thank you for yours ideas. I think it's interesting to read a book and see a movie based on; and to see a movie then to read the book which was the inspiration.

6. Dzierba profile image70
    Dzierbaposted 8 years ago

The Seven Habits Of Highly Effective People, this is a great great great book for learning about your outlook on life.

7. lilian_sg profile image74
    lilian_sgposted 7 years ago

try this: http://hubpages.com/hub/Books-that-made-me It's a tearjerker and related to family. There is a twist at the end too if you like these kind of things.