does anyone feel that what they write is pointless?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. jdaviswrites profile image71
    jdaviswritesposted 13 years ago

does anyone feel that what they write is pointless?

maybe not so much pointless, but at least un-benificial. i know i write on here because i like structured writing, and i like to hear feedback. at the same time, it seems so self-serving. in reality, i am probable just thinking too deep into write now since it's late and i'm filled with caffeine.

2. jdaviswrites profile image71
    jdaviswritesposted 13 years ago

i probably should have previewed that before i posted it. i apologize for the typos.

3. travelespresso profile image69
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

Hello jdaviswrites. 

Heck no!  I only write what I want to write.  I don't have the time or inclination to write anything which is pointless.  I sincerely hope that what I write isn't self-serving but I guess you never know, others may think so.

I just try to write the best way I can and hope that others enjoy reading it.  If they don't they will move onto other writers/genres that they do like.

4. Challah1202 profile image58
    Challah1202posted 13 years ago

I write because I find a topic that is interesting to me.  In writing about it, I learn and I work out what I think.  When I try to make it make sense for others, I discover what I think.  I don't know if it is pointless to them or not.  Maybe when they don't read it they are the ones who are missing out.

5. Wayne Brown profile image80
    Wayne Brownposted 13 years ago

Writers share their work for the most part.  At the same time, I think most writers write about the things that are interesting and comfortable for them.  That's okay for the most part but if one is not careful they will find the scope of their writing begins to follow a very narrow path which they are very familiar with in the writing process.  When that happens, I think some of the creative and imagination gets lost.  Ultimately, I think a writer must go outside their comfort zone in order to grow and improve.  The other danger here depends on the type of writing that you do.  Here is an example.  Have you ever bought an item that required assembly and found that you could not understand the instructions well enough to complete the assembly.  This happens often and it happens because the instructional writer understood the subject so well that they could not see the holes in their own directions for the assembly.  I frequently encounter this in software manuals, etc.  So, it is important to step outside your work and attempt to read it from the mind's eye of the reader. This is difficult but it can be done. I hope this helps you.  Thanks.  WB

6. Coolmon2009 profile image82
    Coolmon2009posted 13 years ago

It depends on what and why you are writing. If you are writing to make you happy, or because you feel what you write on will help others than it is a good use of time. However, if you don't feel passionate about your topic or it is just about making money, than maybe you need to pick a different topic. The bottom line is keep it real.

7. eli grey profile image61
    eli greyposted 13 years ago

Yeah. I do because I can't imagine my work ever being published. I mean, words used to be so powerful and moving but someone has already said what you have to say. On the other hand, I find that writing motivates me to explore things I want to know better. So yeah. Writing has its ups and downs.

8. Harlan Colt profile image79
    Harlan Coltposted 13 years ago

Every answer is an extention of a person, their thoughts, ideas, and their being. What may be pointless to one, will have some meaning to another and perhaps some deep meaning to even another.

Some people read the bible and think it is a bunch of garbage, other's read it and it changes their life - and God wrote it. So unless you can write better than God.... get my point?

I would worry more about certain elements, or words within my writing that may be pointless, rather than whether the whole of my writing is pointless.

You see writing as self-serving. Is the rain self serving because it falls where it will? Does not a wealth of life benefit from the rain? There will be those who will find great benefit in what you have to say, and others who will give it a glance and think "eh" and move on. So what.

Write for yourself and to heck with what I think - or anyone else. That is where you will let down your mask and people will enjoy relating to and seeing the real you.

9. k kissel profile image53
    k kisselposted 13 years ago

MOST CERTAINLY NOT !!!                                                                                                                     LESS IS MORE AND NOTHING IS AS MEANINGFUL AND TIMELESS AS THE WRITTEN WORD.....

10. thephilosopher899 profile image68
    thephilosopher899posted 13 years ago

I have come across this question so many times in my writing, I almost want to "x" out of everything and go watch TV. I realized something a little while ago though. What I write, especially about religion and philosophy, I would write anyway in a spiral. I start typing and the words keep coming, I really don't have to force it. That's how I know I love it. At least by putting it on hubpages I get the chance to show someone else what I wrote with the possibility of them agreeing/learning/discussing something with me.

To answer your question, I would write about stuff that you would write about anyway, that way you have intrinsic value in your writing. Hope it helps!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)