jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Has anyone published a book before? How difficult is the process?

1. kaltopsyd profile image78
    kaltopsydposted 7 years ago

Has anyone published a book before? How difficult is the process?

2. Polly C profile image92
    Polly Cposted 7 years ago

If you want to get accepted by an literary agent then it is very difficult and many things will come into consideration besides the quality of your book - for instance, budget, publishers preferring more established authors because they are more likely to sell,etc. Having said that, I believe it is definitely worth trying if having a book published is your goal. After all, if you don't try you'll never know. And if your writing stands out above all others, then you are in with a chance and you just have to keep trying, even in the face of (a lot of) rejection. Just don't give up your day job just yet!

Of course, you can publish your own book, but personally I would not do that - I know there are people here who have though.

3. Merlin Fraser profile image77
    Merlin Fraserposted 7 years ago

I agree with all that Polly C has said and would add my own two cents worth.

Go check out some of my Hubs they are on the many, many pit falls and expense of self publishing.

However having said that never give up the dream of becoming an author.  Here on Hubs why not show us some of your writing and if you are serious there are people on here who will give your work the once over and give you a critique.

But as Polly says, "Don't give up your day Job."

4. brad4l profile image81
    brad4lposted 7 years ago

Amazon just started a service that lets you self publish and there are a lot of other options, especially for e-books. So, while it is sort of difficult to publish a book the traditional way, self-publishing is rather easy.

I think the hardest part is actually selling the book, which is where going the traditional route helps.

5. Jael Turner profile image61
    Jael Turnerposted 7 years ago

Read my Hub "Confessions of an  Indie Writer" for exact details. Costs are low, but promoting the book is the hard part. I am exploring different options, and will report back.

6. Shakespril profile image60
    Shakesprilposted 7 years ago

I also agree with Polly C.

I believe that it really is difficult to get published.

working