jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Does hub pages promote bad writing and mediocrity?

  1. PaulStaley1 profile image76
    PaulStaley1posted 7 years ago

    Does hub pages promote bad writing and mediocrity?

    So much crap out there! Is it worth having sights like hubpages or is just a scam for the illiterate?

  2. Darin Walker profile image60
    Darin Walkerposted 7 years ago

    90 percent of everything is crap. Music, literature, TV, movies. Full of it. I find the remaining 10 percent worth digging for, generally. My radar filters crap out pretty quickly. Also, being a relative term, it's really up to you to find the ten percent you think is good. Put up a hub about improving one's writing ability. A few people might catch it and follow it, and you've improved the percentages for yourself.

  3. Gyldenboy profile image61
    Gyldenboyposted 7 years ago

    No, I don't think so. Any website that allows users to post what they want is going to have it's share of bad and good. Just look at youtube. Most people only like 5% of the content. Which is personal preference in what can be accepted quality wise and content.

    You also have to be aware, there's no editors or proof readers other then the readers and hubpage users. Which, puts a lot of pressure on them to give feedback to authors in the comments.

    Of course, it's up to each individual to find something good here. Sure, you have to go through a lot of material to find what you like. But, a user can always follow a writer he or she enjoys, to continue reading quality content.

  4. PaulStaley1 profile image76
    PaulStaley1posted 7 years ago

    Well, it does gets unheard voices out their in a kind of weird competitive way. I think it promotes consumerism and advertising, even more then mediocrity.  Hell, its fun, addictive and I shovel through the shit sometimes finding something interesting. No worse then the personalized gossip column facebook feeds me. Thanks for your opinions guys!

  5. RealHousewife profile image77
    RealHousewifeposted 7 years ago

    I am a new person to hub pages.  I see some really good writers here - that have a lot to offer to new or wanna be writers.  I fall into the latter category.  I think if you love to write - this is an excellent resource, a free library right in your lap.  I appreciate the great writers that will help others improve their writings.  If you love to laugh - you will find that here as well.

  6. akuigla profile image60
    akuiglaposted 7 years ago

    No!
    This is a very good place to write,socialize,express opinions,seek advice and give help.
    This is very democratic site and Im personally very happy here.

  7. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

    one person's bad writing may seem like awesome writing to another. i can't judge for everyone so this question is irrelevant really. i have read what is considered great works of literature and i shake my head and wonder what makes them so great.
    when you say illiterate that bothers me because not everyone who wants to write has had a chance at a good education but who are we to stop them from at least trying?i would rather see a person at least make an attempt then see them spend their lives in hiding due to the ridicule of those who are more fortunate. my spelling sucks but i'll be damned if i care what someone who has a university degree thinks of my writing skills.

  8. Darrell Roberts profile image70
    Darrell Robertsposted 7 years ago

    People will have thier dream, ideas and opinions, hubpages is a great place to share with others.  Who finds what interesting or crap is their opinion. Overall, am not interested in perfect grammar or spelling, what the person is communicating makes the readin worthwhile.

  9. joshhunt83 profile image59
    joshhunt83posted 7 years ago

    I don't think so. I love the fact I have a platform to write about whatever I want. Although I've noticed a lot of how-to-guides. I think Google are starting to crack down on this type of content.

 
working