jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can you give me a prompt that would improve my world building skills?

1. Elefanza profile image75
    Elefanzaposted 6 years ago

Can you give me a prompt that would improve my world building skills?

Basically, I'm writing a book of short stories designed to improve my world-building skills for a book series I intend to write after the book of short stories. So far, I've written a western short story, a story without forms of to be, a spy story and a few other random ones. If you can think of other prompts designed to enhance world-building and creativity skills, feel free to suggest them. Thanks!

2. Frank Atanacio profile image82
    Frank Atanacioposted 6 years ago

Just keep it interesting..  and different

3. Denise Handlon profile image91
    Denise Handlonposted 6 years ago

Write a story about a person who is not who he/she represents him/herself to be.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

Write a creation myth. I just recently wrote a hub about it, but it's a great foundation if you're creating a unique world for a book. Also consider writing short stories that star ancestors of your book's main characters, or famous people that will be mentioned in the book. I found myself referencing a lot of events in my fantasy novel that had happened in the past, but as I read them, they seemed stale and uninteresting. When I went back and wrote short stories depicting the influential events, it really gave a much needed boost to the novel. You can also write little things to enrich the world, like the legend of how the moon or mountains appeared. A lot of early cultures had rich stories about giants and gods that shaped the land and these mythologies offer great lessons for your character to learn over the course of the book.