jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What's your favorite 'classic' which you were forced to read in high school?

1. seicheprey profile image59
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

What's your favorite 'classic' which you were forced to read in high school?

Classic is a loose term, especially when applied to what is considered today's canon of American Literature.  So, basically, just looking at the books you were required to read in high school, which one was your favorite?

2. irenemaria profile image73
    irenemariaposted 6 years ago

Hatter's Castle written by A J Cronin. I was completely in love and read more of his marvelous books. What a writer!

3. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 6 years ago

A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens. An image of the French police hats comes to mind now for some odd reason

4. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

I think the classic "Animal Farm" was my favorite among the literature classes books we were required to read.
    it reinforced the way many of us were feeling about society then. Corruption abounds when one is given too much power and authority over others.
    Other classics were read were Portnoy's Complaint, Clockwork Orange, The Grapes of Wrath and Catcher in the Rye.

5. rikabothra profile image60
    rikabothraposted 6 years ago

My favourite book which I read in high school was "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott.

6. profile image0
    will345davisposted 6 years ago

Of all the books we had to read, I would have to say that my favorite was Homer's 'The Illiad' and 'The Odessey'. Great books. Completely captivating story. Another that I thoroughly enjoyed was Beowulf

7. renegadetory profile image98
    renegadetoryposted 6 years ago

My all time favourite was Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, and a close second was Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

I think it was because I could relate so much to the lead female characters of Elizabeth and Jane.  I know now why they are "classics" because even though they were written long before I ever existed, these stories continue to cross the limits of time and touch people's lives in different ways.  Their messages continue to speak to us here in the 21st century.

8. Powerful Pierre profile image79
    Powerful Pierreposted 6 years ago

Being older I 'm going to say "Merchant of Venice" by William Shakespeare.  ty

9. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

To Kill a Mockingbird, i probably would not have read it if we hadn't studied it in school. It is now one of my favourite books.

10. truthfornow profile image84
    truthfornowposted 6 years ago

My favorite classic was The Great Gatsby.  I love that book.  So beautifully written.

working