jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What individual do you quote the most? Is it a parent, famous person, author and

1. dashingclaire profile image72
    dashingclaireposted 6 years ago

What individual do you quote the most? Is it a parent, famous person, author and/or from a book?

2. starsofeight profile image61
    starsofeightposted 6 years ago

Anonymous first, my late Dad second. Sometimes, when I think no one is paying particular attention, I quote myself.

3. onegoodwoman profile image75
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

I, often, find myself, saying......My Grandpa said..............

such wisdom in the old folks!

4. summerclark7387 profile image84
    summerclark7387posted 6 years ago

My favorite quote is JRR Tolkien's "Not all that wander are lost"  I've yet to experience reading his work, but I've loved this quote since I heard it.
    And oddly enough my other favorite quote is "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams." said by Henry David Throreau.

5. Lisa HW profile image75
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

The only people I quote tend to be media people who have said something that really made me laugh, and then I tell whoever I'm with what they said (and they usually laugh too).

Other than that, I'm not a big one for quoting because I enjoy language and coming up with my own "quotes" (I guess they're not "quotes" if we think them up ourselves, but you know what I mean).  For the most part, one of the things I think are most important about communicating with, and relating to, people is to come up with our own, un-recycled, thoughts. 

A lot of people (including me) enjoy reading really good, meaningful, or funny quotes; so I might share a list or book with someone else.  I just don't use them as party of my own conversation (and only very rarely use them in my writing).  I guess I think there's a big difference between sharing someone else's wisdom and borrowing it for my own purposes and use in my personal communications with other people.

6. randomcreative profile image94
    randomcreativeposted 6 years ago

My husband and I quote the most from our favorite TV shows and movies.  The Simpsons will always be high on that list.  The Office and Family Guy rank pretty high, too.

7. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

My Favorite is Jesus Christ and The Holy Bible. There are many great quotes from Jesus and the Bible.

8. cre8ivOne profile image75
    cre8ivOneposted 6 years ago

If I hear a great quote in a movie or tv show or read it in a book I will repeat it.  Also, my kids have been known to say some pretty funny things so I like to quote them too!  I think it's natural to quote things we've heard our parents or grandparents say in the past and I believe it most cases it would be a little compliment to them that you remember what they said.