jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

In whose world would you rather live, and why? That of JRR Tolkien or JK Rowling

1. BenjaBenja profile image59
    BenjaBenjaposted 6 years ago

In whose world would you rather live, and why? That of JRR Tolkien or JK Rowling?

2. dungeonraider profile image90
    dungeonraiderposted 6 years ago

The thing about Rowling is that she made Hogwarts.  If it weren't for that magical school, I would have no problem blurting out Tolkien.  Rowling's Potter was a much more clever tale than Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.  My heart is in the Shire, but my hat goes off to the literary brilliance of Rowling.

3. nemanjaboskov profile image74
    nemanjaboskovposted 6 years ago

I completely agree with dungeonraider - JRR is a genious, but I've always wanted to learn to cast spells and attend a school such as Hogwarts...

4. SimeyC profile image97
    SimeyCposted 6 years ago

I have to disagree with the other answers; while a direct comparison of LOTR and Harry Potter may lead you to think the HP world is more diverse, when you read the entire works of Tolkien you'll see that Middle Earth is a far more diverse, complex and real world. Everything that exists in HP existed in Tolkien before.

Tolkien's world is full of danger, beauty, peace and is far more developed than HPs world - HP world is also simply an extension of Earth.

5. Porshadoxus profile image77
    Porshadoxusposted 6 years ago

Tolkien used this world as his Primary World, then built a Secondary World of Faerie into it. He used what we all know as a foundation to draw us in, then showed us his vision of a fantasy world, complete with heroes, villains and extensive history, culture and landscape.
    Rowling used the Primary World and added directly to it, rather than building another world into it. While compelling, HP's world does not have the attraction for me that Middle Earth does.
    I choose Middle Earth every time.

6. Island Hopper profile image60
    Island Hopperposted 6 years ago

Definitely Tolkien's. Rowling's seems kind of boring. Tolkien has all the elements of a good story: fantasy, adventure, romance, and mysticism.

working