jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What to write when you have no idea to write?

1. imkd profile image58
    imkdposted 6 years ago

What to write when you have no idea to write?

2. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 6 years ago

I like to write a Haiku when I have no other ideas what to do.

3. odie_driver profile image61
    odie_driverposted 6 years ago

I pick something that I know - something that seems small - like "Some ideas for storing your winter boots". Random for me, an idea I had and I just thought of the topic by looking around my house!

4. Gemsong profile image77
    Gemsongposted 6 years ago

Sometimes I'll write stream-of-consciousness pieces. Whatever I'm thinking about gets typed. Often I've ended up with possible story ideas that I set aside into my idea box. Sometimes these little idea take a hold of me and won't let me go until I finish it.

There is a saying I've heard that says, and I'm paraphrasing "There are no new ideas, only new ways of presenting them". And therein lies the challenge and the fun.

5. imkd profile image58
    imkdposted 6 years ago

@justasksusan nice idea to write a haiku but its impossible to write a haiku because i don't know abc of it.

@odie_driver - your answer's made an idea in my mind... started to write on that.

6. cobrien profile image77
    cobrienposted 6 years ago

Watch TV or surf the news stations to get ideas. Thumb through some magazines. Try a book review. Ideas are out there. You can find them.

7. emichael profile image78
    emichaelposted 6 years ago

This is probably not very helpful, but I make myself sit down, with no distractions, and just write.
    The first thing that comes into my head.
    A lot of times it's a whole lot of nonsense. Sometimes it's just a reciting of the events of the day.
    But sometimes...
    Sometimes there's a nugget of something good in there that becomes something really good.
    You just can't be afraid to write badly.

8. skylergreene profile image64
    skylergreeneposted 6 years ago

The first thing that comes to mind.

As long as it's appropriate, of course.

9. Mary R. Schutter profile image70
    Mary R. Schutterposted 6 years ago

When I am stuck for ideas, I sit quietly and think about nature--a forest colorsplashed by autumn, snow covered fields sparkling in the moonlight, a single gorgeous rose. If that doesn't work, I recall a wonderful or special memory from my childhood that made me want to dance with joy and excitement. I find  that jotting thoughts about pleasant things unlocks my brain for more serious writing. Happy thoughts are relaxing thoughts which frees the mind and the body.

working