jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should books be challenged or banned in today's society?

1. Leanne1783 profile image75
    Leanne1783posted 6 years ago

Should books be challenged or banned in today's society?

2. SarahLMaguire profile image95
    SarahLMaguireposted 6 years ago

We should by all means challenge books if we don't agree with their content; the whole point of books is for people to have reactions to them and to express their reactions. The question of whether a book should be banned altogether is another matter. People arguably should have the right to write and read what they choose.

The question of when a school librarian decides that school students should not be exposed to a certain work of literature is perhaps  one of the most controversial as it is very subjective and dependent on the value systems of that community.

At what level do we decide that objectionable views or language e.g. racism or sexism are outweighed by literary merit?

If we teach children to be discerning and questioning readers, they should be better able to be aware of and evaluate possible bias rather than being passively influenced. 
    For example, as a child, I was allowed to read Enid Blyton but it was explained to me that I would find racist and sexist views in her books and should bear those prejudices in mind.

3. The Blagsmith profile image79
    The Blagsmithposted 6 years ago

I don't think they should be banned. But I do believe books should be marked appropriately to their subject matter and audience as games and movies are. I once took a book out of a children's library to do a hub and found to my horror that it spoke of self mutilation. So if games and movies are marked according to age so should books be too.

4. Grime Remix profile image61
    Grime Remixposted 6 years ago

when I first learned of book burning as a child I was confused as to why.  Usually the idea's up for banning pose no threat to security or society.  It's a great fear by some for other's to have different opinions and beliefs.  That's what book burning is about and it should never happen by a modern society.

5. wonderingwoolley profile image55
    wonderingwoolleyposted 6 years ago

I don't think so. It's not up to anyone but the reader what is worth reading and what is "safe" to read. If a government feels they have the right to restrict what their citizens read, something is inherently wrong with that government. Besides, someone will always be offended by what they read, or find a reason to ban something because they feel it is threatening to their livelihood, but that does not necessarily mean the reader will feel the same way. Reading is such a subjective thing that no one has the right to control it because there will always be people to disagree