jump to last post 1-18 of 18 discussions (18 posts)

What do you "get" out of writing?

1. elayne001 profile image72
    elayne001posted 6 years ago

What do you "get" out of writing?

2. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

I have not written in a long time..For me...it is the satisfaction of finishing and offering something that might be of use to others..

3. NatalieSack profile image59
    NatalieSackposted 6 years ago

You know, I think if I ever got what I needed out of writing, I would cease to write.  I cannot name what that need is. It's a shadowy figure that I can't quite bring into focus, but it is what compels me.  It's that makes me write even when I don't want to.

Eh, who am I kidding?  It's probably for people's approval!

4. WillStarr profile image83
    WillStarrposted 6 years ago

Writing is addictive...an itch that must be scratched, and it's also the only true road to immortality. We still read the words of those who have been dead for years, or even centuries!

Great question.

5. kenneth avery profile image82
    kenneth averyposted 6 years ago

Dear elayne,
    I get relaxation, personal growth in the emotional, mental and spiritual areas of my life from writing. I get to share personal experiences with REAL friends who are REALLY TALENTED people. I feel as if I am an equal member of our society when I submit, comment on and engage with writers on HubPages. Talented writers such as yourself.

6. Daughter Of Maat profile image95
    Daughter Of Maatposted 6 years ago

I get satisfaction from finishing something and sharing my knowledge with others. I also learn knew things when I'm doing research for an article, and that's one of the best perks of writing. My thirst for knowledge is insatiable, and writing affords me the opportunity to not only learn and share, but to think critically and apply my new found knowledge.

7. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

To be honest, I get nothing but a headache. Sometimes I get the urge, but the process is painful when I have family all about me. I prefer to read.

8. loveofnight profile image80
    loveofnightposted 6 years ago

I first started writing purely for myself, it was a way of dealing with the trails and tribulations of the day [like journaling]. As I got older I realized that some of the things that I had written could be looked upon as testamonies that were worthy of sharing with others who may be going through the things that I had over-come. All of my joys and pains are attached to my writing and I honestly can't see my life without it.

9. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

I get to "hear" my voice spoken, heard.  I get release, validation.   I get to say,
    I was here, on this day, and I felt, I struggled, I learned and grew, I won the battle or I lost it...................yet, I am here.......to tell a tale, to relate, or just to say................I will be counted, just for  having been here.

I am someone, who has some thing to say.

Far more, than any of these things..........I learn of myself................ex.......I said "that", I responded "how".......is this the message I would want to send?

As a "writer"...........I get to see the unveiling of my own personal self............many  people can not make this journey.

At the end of the day................I get to smoke from the " pipe".........WHO does not want to do this thing?............WHO?

Let sailors be sailors, doctors be doctors, retail giants be what they are.

I HAVE to write........even when ( and often times) nothing is "gained".   I just have " to say".

10. EyesStraightAhead profile image83
    EyesStraightAheadposted 6 years ago

For me, I get the satisfaction of inspiring others. When I write from my heart, I am told it helps others make changes. If only I would do that more and share those type stores, but I am not fully there on a public level yet. I also like that I can finish something, as my life seems to be a series of "in process" tasks. I like that I can write and see the finished project.

11. profile image0
    onlookerposted 6 years ago

I write because i want to share my perspectives on things. I want my writings to bring some sort of awareness and acceptance. I want people to "get" it, if that makes sense to you smile

12. KrystalD profile image81
    KrystalDposted 6 years ago

Writing is a wonderful outlet for my feelings. It also encourages me to research topics that matter to me. I find it relaxes me and gives me a sense of success when I complete a writing. I simply LOVE it!

13. MsDora profile image96
    MsDoraposted 6 years ago

Among other things:  (1) The joy of pursuing my purpose.  (2)  The relief of expressing what's on my mind. (3) The satisfaction of creating with words.

14. aisha91 profile image59
    aisha91posted 6 years ago

fulfillment, satisfaction and well...good investment smile

15. profile image55
    wim99posted 6 years ago

Surely, this is a favorite question of many differant writers from many various backgrounds. Writing gives a self satisfaction that is unequal to most other jobs because the author is in charge of a unique creation. The psychological void becomes filled with hope manifested in history. One can have a hard day, and release the tension into the characters development. Therefore, writing gives purpose to a special agenda known only to the creator- the Author.

16. DIYmyOmy profile image73
    DIYmyOmyposted 6 years ago

It takes me into another world, whatever I am writing, fiction or nonfiction. I love exploring the insides of my characters' heads, or learning about a topic while I write about it.

17. kayyluh profile image79
    kayyluhposted 6 years ago

I like writing because I feel its a way to express my creativity, definitly an addiction of mine as well.

18. dohn121 profile image81
    dohn121posted 6 years ago

For me, writing gets out the anxiety that fills up frequently within me.  In one of my hubs, I described the tension and frustration of my daily woes as a poison in which only writing can draw out, especially when I was an adolescent.  I filled spiral notebook upon spiral notebook with the tribulations of my own life with my writing.  So in other words,it's not so much what I "get" out of writing, but rather what writing gets out of me!