Why Do Writers Write Online? by John Hansen

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (22 posts)
  1. surovi99 profile image83
    surovi99posted 5 months ago

Please read the interesting and delightful poetry by John. Here is the link:
    https://hubpages.com/literature/why-do- … ite-online

Hi John,
    I like your reasons why writers write online. In fact, the first para is the very reason why I write online. I love the images you created using Bing image creator. The man and woman writing in separate images look similar but I noticed every item is different. Great work on the images and of course, the poetry.

1. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 5 months agoin reply to this

Thanks for posting John's poem Rosina!! John, I am thankful your muse nudged or perhaps grabbed you, John, around the neck. I don't know about you, but my muse can be temperamental at times. As always your poem was penned astutely as well as speaking as we all speak. I appreciate you speaking for all of us! Inspiring!!

Without going to a lot of length my muse was roused in October to my beckoning, actually. My niece who graduated from a university a little longer than a year ago after me sharing some of my life stories with her by email suggested that I write my autobiography. Mind you she holds a Master's degree in English and creative writing. She has written one book and I tell her about HP all the time sharing some of my poetry with her. 

It hit me what a great gift for Christmas for my nephews and nieces about their weird uncle. (I know who my audience is and the liberties I can take with my writing style and tone) I have no children of my own. Through her inspiration (Key for a writer - inspiration) I sat at my desk and began on Oct 21. I wrestled with it until my 'muse' arrived a day or two later grabbing me around the neck 'and telling' me "Just Write! Fix it later!"

Now Nov 24th in the autobiography I am at the age of 45 composed in 73,000 words or about. I am 69. I won't be done by Christmas this year, but there is next year, right? A lot of coffee and long on and off again hours going with flow guided by my muse.

The point is as you eloquently portrayed, even though a muse may seem dormant don't be surprised when the muse arrives. smile

It has been cathartic, a little emotional here and there, but, very satisfying!

1. Jodah profile image90
        Jodahposted 5 months agoin reply to this

Tim, my friend, thank you for reading my little poem, and for your generous comment that it was inspiring.
        I am so glad you have been sharing some of your work and stories with your niece and she has encouraged you to start writing your autobiography. Well done on reaching 70,000 words already. I hope your muse and coffee keep you inspired until it is complete. What a great gift it will be for all your nieces and nephews.

2. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 5 months ago

Hello Rosina. Thank you for reading and sharing this. Yes, I would have liked the two images to be a bit more different, but I thought they were still good, and was too lazy to worry about changing one. I am pleased that the first paragraph/stanza refers to the reason you write.
    Have a great day.

3. Genna East profile image83
    Genna Eastposted 5 months ago

I just love this poem, John, and have bookmarked it. 
    Especially...
    "Just listen to your special muse,
    And write as though you’ve nought to lose." 
    As a creative writer, I write because I have to.  It's that internal muse that beckons from within, and without.  :-)

1. Jodah profile image90

Hi Genna. Thank you for reading and appreciating this poem. I couldn't agree more with your reason for writing.

4. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 5 months ago

I searched in John's poem for the reason I write, and I found it. As usual, his work is excellent, and he expresses my own feeling even better than I could. Thanks for a beautiful read, and thanks also to Rosina for sharing.

5. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 5 months ago

I am glad you found your reason within my poem, MsDora. Thank you for your kind words and continued support.

6. ChitrangadaSharan profile image91
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 5 months ago

Hello John,
    An interesting and relatable read. Isn’t it wonderful that most of the writers, have almost the same reasons to write!
    I agree with others, that you have expressed on behalf of many of us.
    I do write to express myself, to put on paper, what all is going on in my mind— And, that is a kind of therapy for me.
    Thank you for the motivation. I like the images created by you.
    Thank you Rosina.

1. Jodah profile image90

Hi Chitrangada. I am glad you can relate to this, and yes many of us seem to have similar reasons for writing here. I am glad you found motivation in this poem, and liked the images.

7. Vlado - Val Karas profile image69
    Vlado - Val Karasposted 5 months ago

At these times of an apparent decline of this website, we may all try to justify   our creative efforts having been invested -- wondering why we ever decided to be writers in the first place, if it all had to end up depending on some technicalities in running the platform of our literary expression.
    Instead of reaching more and more readers, getting more and more feedback, here we go being hardly heard -- except for those few for whom we are ultimately still here.

1. Jodah profile image90

Thanks for offering your insights, Val. The reasons most of us still write here, have changed greatly from when we first joined, but for me, it has never been for the money. Once, some of us may have received 100s of comments, and it was that communication that made writing appealing.

Now we are lucky to get half a dozen in the forums. There are still some people who I only have contact with through here, and that is one reason I continue to keep my foot in the door here. Another is I have so many articles that I don’t have the time or inclination to move elsewhere.

8. Mike Grindle profile image96
    Mike Grindleposted 5 months ago

Another great poem, John!

Personally, I don't even know why I write online, it's just a compulsion. Certainly would be better places to look if it was for money and fame!

Thanks for sharing, Rosina

1. Jodah profile image90

Hello Mike. Thanks for reading. A “compulsion” to  write is a good a reason as anything. Money and fame and HubPages just don’t seem to go together, but it is somewhere to store our work and give it some exposure.

9. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 5 months ago

Hi John,
    As always, your poetry is always fun to read.  There are innumerable reasons writers choose to express themselves, and you have certainly noted many of them.  Thanks Rosina for sharing his work with us.  I enjoyed John's creative images as well.

1. Jodah profile image90

Thank you, Peggy. Yes, we all have our reasons and some more than one. Thank you for reading my poem, I am glad you found it a fun read.

10. Springboard profile image82
    Springboardposted 5 months ago

Whether it be online, for hire, or for a publisher, a writer writes anything because he MUST write. For me, it is as simple as that.

1. Jodah profile image90

Thanks Springboard. I totally agree, the need to write encompasses everything else.

11. DREAM ON profile image81
    DREAM ONposted 5 months ago

I could read your writing all day. Then I would have a good excuse why I get nothing done. Here it is Thanksgiving day and you once again top the charts I give you a 9 out of 10. I am still exploring the tenth reason. So that is a 10 out of 10. You even sum it up perfectly. Just listen to your special muse, and write as though you've got naught to lose. Thank you for sharing and exploring a writer's mind. Mine is on a coffee break and will be back sometime soon.

1. Jodah profile image90

It is so great to get your wonderful response Dream On. I so miss our wonderful exchanges in comments on our articles. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

12. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 5 months ago

Wow, John. I enjoyed going through all those varying urges that make writers write.

1. Jodah profile image90

Thank you, Venkatachari. I appreciate you taking the time to read my ramblings.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)