When you write, do you choose topics geared toward a broad audience?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (25 posts)
  1. ytsenoh profile image59
    ytsenohposted 12 years ago

When you write, do you choose topics geared toward a broad audience?

What elements of consideration do you employ before choosing a topic?

2. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 12 years ago

What I write, when I write, is dictated solely by inspiration. I hope that when I write it would reach a large audience, but during the process of writing itself there is no reference to the future audience.
    I only measure the end product, the article, in reference to its fidelity with my thoughts, so I measure expression more than anything.

3. badegg profile image82
    badeggposted 12 years ago

I tend to wrtite about things that interest me. As it turns out, some of my more popular hubs were about my profession as a butcher and my ailments as a gout sufferer. I guess in a way, those two topics hit a broad audience.

4. billybuc profile image85
    billybucposted 12 years ago

I only write about what interests me and what moves me....if there isn't passion in the subject I won't write about it...unless I'm just being silly and writing what I call "funny fluff."  Most of my hubs are about personal experiences and I don't much care about the broad audience.

5. Shell-Belle profile image61
    Shell-Belleposted 12 years ago

I probably should, but I just started and so far I am just writing what I want!

6. MyGirlThursday profile image59
    MyGirlThursdayposted 12 years ago

Yes and No. When I post a hub, I post something that I am passionate about and sometimes it is not for a broad audience. But I also seek to make my hubs and writing in general accessible to people unfamiliar with the topic. For example, when I write about Jane Austen, I try to give some background or explanation for those unfamiliar with her oeuvre. I don't worry about it too much, though; the great thing about writing is that there is something for everyone!

7. MojoDawg profile image61
    MojoDawgposted 12 years ago

I write about things that I a am passionate about, but I am a web writer so I write on various topics, which has broadened my scope in writing and creative thinking. I don't know for sure the extent of mastery I exude in all of those topics, but it has been a rewarding journey; not stopping now.

Enjoy writing we all need new to see each others passion in the words we write and the things and circumstances that bring our stories to life.

Great Question

8. lilyfly profile image65
    lilyflyposted 12 years ago

Hello, Ynetsoh, I have a few moments and since I admire your work, I'll try to answer this; mind you, I still don't know where the words come from-most of my poems are done extemporaneously, without planning, and without revision.A recipe for disaster for good poetry.) I'll wake in the morning, knowing I had posted a poem last thing at night, and wonder if it was good, not remembering a word of it. Sometimes it is so bad I cringe. At times, it is good enough for inner praise, but not to myself, but rather to that power that allows me to draw words from the ether.
    Not to say, that it does not take effort- I have broken my heart on many a poem, and had to pick myself up again, and try to express that particular feeling or view,and still not be able to do it.The changes of the seasons here in Alaska have taken reams of paper, but nothing suffices still.
    I would say thru such and such a time of trial and dedication, a writer begins to embody the belief, that, "Even if all the world says your wrong, that still doesn't make it true." One must be able to say the truth, even if no one sees it yet. Even now, my mind is turning on how to make this a poem. It is always so with a true poet or writer. All is fair game, we grind the gristle with the fat. it's life, and our job is to describe it, define it, shine a light on our most darkest impulses, and shine a light as well, on our very best selves. Does that help? Love yaz, lily

9. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 12 years ago

I always try to write something that will be viewed by someone. I hate the feeling when my work isn't viewed at all, and that the start was the only views I get. It's why I delete some of my work.

10. Craig Suits profile image63
    Craig Suitsposted 12 years ago

I think we all womder how any hub will do in respect to total readers but unless you've been around the block a few times, you may be in for a suprise or two.

As an example, I wrote a hub that explanes how to end all world war forever. What could be more Earth shattering or important? In almost two years, 206 people have read it.

Then again, I wrote a hub about a new book I just published called Treasure In Your Backyard and 1,406 people have read it. Go figure!

Always write about what you want to write about and not what you think might do well. Not counting a few given subjects like food, sex, some religious subjects, and money, there is no way to tell how a particular subject will do anyway.

11. Jynzly profile image63
    Jynzlyposted 12 years ago

Not necessarily broad audience; I write my own experience and principles. I don' expect everyone to agree with me let alone like me or my writings. Writing for me is for self-discovery hence I only write those I sincerely believe as true about me and that might be also true to some.

12. editorsupremo profile image67
    editorsupremoposted 12 years ago

When I started writing I wrote about matters that interested me or by which I had been affected, but now I also write about topics that require research and that have a broad audience appeal. I check what's trending on Google and choose a topic that way.

13. alekhouse profile image72
    alekhouseposted 12 years ago

I usually write about what interests me, but I have four blogs of my own and one I maintain for an organization, so I actually do write on a variety of topics which probably end up reaching a broad audience. I also write for three magazines which, again, increases the audience. Finally, I just finished a memoir and I'm hoping it will  reach as broad an audience as possible. I'm in the process now of trying to determine that..

14. gregas profile image81
    gregasposted 12 years ago

I write, especially here on the hubs, about things that move me, not what I hope moves others. I have come to enjoy writing and I do appreciate it when I get good responses to my hubs; whether it be a poem, a story about something that happened in my life, something I made up, or political rhetoric, I just enjoy writing and expressing myself.
    And Craig, with the 2 examples that you expressed, maybe that shows what is wrong with the world today. The people are more interested in money than world peace, as beauty contestants always say they want. Just a thought. Greg

15. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 12 years ago

I can only write what is close to my heart, I follow my own unique path in writing and in life as well. I am not here to persuade people to follow my path, I am here to share my experience and encourage people to find their own unique paths in creativity as well as in life. I don't choose topics, topics usually choose me.

16. healthwriterbob profile image76
    healthwriterbobposted 12 years ago

Sometimes, I try to come up with a topic that I think will appeal to a broad array of readers. Most times, though, I write about what I know best.

17. Dee aka Nonna profile image61
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 12 years ago

I write about about things out of my life that I hope with both interest and help others;  I write about something I may hear on the news that strike me and I want to put my thoughts on the subject; I write about my grandchildren and things they say; and, I write to inspire myself and others.  My wish is that what I write would somehow reach a broad audience.

18. profile image0
    onlookerposted 12 years ago

I write to bring perspective and awareness towards a subject matter. My topics may not seem attractive to the broader audience but i still feel i need to share it with those you shall read them.

19. joanwz profile image79
    joanwzposted 12 years ago

Like a lot of the people who have already answered this question, I write what interests me. Some of the items I thought would have broad audience appeal, didn't and haven't done as well as expected. Some of the pieces that I thought were geared toward specific audiences have had a much larger appeal than I expected.

20. 17Bree profile image77
    17Breeposted 12 years ago

No, writing towards my age group is more interesting and will catch their attention hopefully.

21. nishlaverz profile image60
    nishlaverzposted 12 years ago

I write on topics I have an interest in myself. Ones I know enough about to write a useful article.

22. profile image57
    wim99posted 12 years ago

There is someting interesting in almost all the questions. I'm new here, and just checking out the questions and forums before I post my first hub. So far, anything of vague interest at least deserves an answer. Getting to know the hubbers is probably my first step, I give credit to Yoshi for the great idea. If the broad audience accepts my frame of reference, so be it!

23. nifwlseirff profile image92
    nifwlseirffposted 12 years ago

I tend to write about anything and everything that interests me. I have a very wide range of interests, so I know that all of my hubs won't appeal to everyone. But I hope that many people will find something useful within!
    Sometimes I will get inspiration for a topic when I teach, or through conversations about problems with friends. Sometimes a news article will prompt a hub. Occasionally, I'll research deeply a topic and then write a hub, either to learn more about it, or to stretch my writing skills. I learn much better when I teach/write about a topic.

24. Leroyworld profile image59
    Leroyworldposted 12 years ago

I tried that once and got no views.  I seem to do better when I write about something I am into.  Other people who are into the subject seem to find me.  Go figure.

25. profile image0
    susanm23bposted 12 years ago

I think that while all people are unique, we all have a great deal in common.  I write about the things that I know about and care about--confident that there are many others out there who share my interests and experiences.  Hopefully, they will somehow find my writing and enjoy it or be helped by it...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)