jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What is/are your favorite Dr. Suess book(s) and why?

1. Candie V profile image64
    Candie Vposted 6 years ago

What is/are your favorite Dr. Suess book(s) and why?

2. LauraGT profile image93
    LauraGTposted 6 years ago

The Lorax.  Great cautionary tale about the harm greed can create.

3. thurstjm profile image79
    thurstjmposted 6 years ago

Yertle the Turtle. Also a great cautionary tale about the harm greed can create smile. Yertle tried to ride high on the backs of all of his friends only to come to a glorious fall. It touches my heart. Also, I like the rhymes.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Fox in Socks.  My kids and I had a ball reading it out loud as fast as we could.  The tongue twisters are wild and we laughed so hard we could barely breathe.  Great fun.

5. chspublish profile image80
    chspublishposted 6 years ago

'The Cat in the Hat', because it was, as an adult, my first experience of one of these books. We received a copy of this book from the US one Xmas and, of course, I read it to my children, who absolutely adored it for all sorts of reasons.
    These books were not, at the time, very common nor read in Ireland,  and thus our lack of familiarity.
    Now that same story has passed down to our last child and is lying in wait for a grandchild, more as a memento of their parent's childhood. What fun, what joy was created from the writer's mind, never to go out of fashion nor style.

6. TripleAMom profile image86
    TripleAMomposted 6 years ago

We absolutely LOVE Dr. Suess books.  My youngest child, 6, is now reading them and though I had quite a few from the older children, I'm trying even harder now to collect as many as I can to save for my future grandchildren.  There are so many that are my favorites.  I love There's a Wocket in My Pocket because it's so much fun to try and read all of the crazy names of the fictitious creatures inhabiting the boy's home.  I love Mr. Brown Can Moo Can You because all of my children laughed hysterically when the sounds were made by both mom and dad. I like How the Grinch Stole Christmas because I like the idea that it gives that Christmas is not just about material possessions.  Finally, I like Oh The Places You'll Go because it gives both young and old alike the concept that you have the ability to succeed in life. 

I love that Dr. Suess wrote books with children in mind, and not only easy to read, fun books, but books with good morals and values as well.

7. larcaustin46 profile image86
    larcaustin46posted 6 years ago

A friend of our family handed down all his Dr. Seuss books to me when he was 12 and I was 2--and I think he had them all!  Dr. Seuss' ABCs, If I Ran the Zoo, and One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish were my favorites, and I loved reading those to my children. 

My son just appeared as The Mayor of Whoville in a production of Seussical! the Musical, which combines the most popular characters and plots from the books into a wonderful musical--if you love Dr. Seuss, you'll enjoy this show.

8. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 5 years ago

Without question, The Sneetches.  No other children's book clearly illustrates how silly racism is in this world or how we should love ourselves for who we are rather than how we look.  And should anyone be interested, I wrote a hub about it:

http://dohn121.hubpages.com/hub/Book-Re … y-Dr-Seuss