jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you sometimes feel inadequate compared to other writers?

1. mary615 profile image93
    mary615posted 5 years ago

Do you sometimes feel inadequate compared to other writers?

When reading other writers, I feel that I will never be as good as they are, do you?

2. breastpumpreviews profile image81
    breastpumpreviewsposted 5 years ago

We each have our own writing style.  I have come a long way since my very first article of content that I have written over two years ago.  Each hub or article that I write allows me to perfect my writing style.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

No, I really don't find myself comparing my writing to others.  I know I can improve and certainly am not perfect....but I have found a style that I enjoy both writing and reading.

4. cenarius27 profile image75
    cenarius27posted 5 years ago

I agree with Breastpumpreviews, we all have our own writing style. But yes at a point when I read some great writers like Premchand (in Hindi literature) or Ruskin bond or Shakespear I feel uneasy not just because they had with great writing skills but also because they considered theirselves a common man. They lived with no envious feelings and wrote with no intension to get booker's award. We are compared to other writers and thats certainly not very nice. What prudency you will likely to have if you are comapring banches of the same tree. We have or moral duty to lift up precious skill of writing and I guess comparing or feeling low/ high  than other are mere weakness.

5. tlmcgaa70 profile image78
    tlmcgaa70posted 5 years ago

definitely. i tend to like what i write and how i write...until i come across someone whose writing stirs my imagination and emotions...then i realize i have a long way to go to be as good as them.

6. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago

Indeed.
    "Writer's Envy" comes to mind when reading the frequent excellence of many who post their articles on HubPages. 
    Even if I will never be as good, I do what I can to make myself credible-- or incrediblle, if possible.
    We all have a niche to fill. It might not be the highest; we can only hope that our contribution is useful, thought-provoking, or even just entertaining in some way.

7. stephhicks68 profile image87
    stephhicks68posted 5 years ago

Yes and no.  I am very proud of my writing style.  I do have several hubbers that I follow with a very distinct, natural style I love and envy.  Since I was trained as a lawyer, I tend to be more fact-oriented and less conversational.  I guess the bottom line is that I might like another style, but isn't it great that we all write with our own voices?

8. Aqueous Love profile image56
    Aqueous Loveposted 5 years ago

Well, I don't know about feeling inadequate, but I do sometimes feel as though my writing may not be as good as others' writing. I'm not a professional writer by any means, but I enjoy writing so I continue to do it whether I'm better than anyone else or not. Most of my writing is on paper and I haven't written any hubs yet...

working