How dependent are you on Spell Check?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (25 posts)
  1. LisaKoski profile image81
    LisaKoskiposted 11 years ago

How dependent are you on Spell Check?

Seeing made up words and misspellings all over HubPages made me wonder how dependent most people are on spell check. I do just fine checking my own work and using a dictionary (although I know I'm not perfect). I also know there are those who type their work into Word before posting them in a Hub, which is a great idea.

2. CriticalMessage profile image66
    CriticalMessageposted 11 years ago

I never use it and come off as being a total dork sometimes because of it... But it is a good way to show that I am at least authentic, and human.. ~smiles~

1. Dr. Arthur Ide profile image65
      Dr. Arthur Ideposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I salute you. I can tell with an initial reading who uses spell checkers and who knows how to spell. The latter is educated and educatable; I do not pass spell check users as generally they do not proof their work nor add a style of their own.

3. liveandlaugh profile image60
    liveandlaughposted 11 years ago

The browser I use comes with spell check, so I am forced to use it. The only time it ever corrects me is if I made a common typo or used the Canadian spelling instead of the American spelling. But as I said if you want to be sure about your spelling just use a browser with spell check built in and always reread your hub for errors.

Spell checkers are available in every language I communicate in: Canadian, USA, UK, South African, etc. English as well as non-English languages. Spell checkers, sadly, limit learning of a language and deaden what the author is writing.

4. Juls2 profile image60
    Juls2posted 11 years ago

I use it all the time. 

My browser has spell check as well.  Mind, it's American English and at the best of times I am not a good speller, so also have The Oxford Dictionary bookmarked.

5. Moon Daisy profile image80
    Moon Daisyposted 11 years ago

Yes, my browser has a UK English spellcheck on it.  (In fact it's now telling me that the word "spellcheck is wrong, so I'll use "spell check" instead).  I'm usually careful of spelling, but I'm very glad of it for any typos that I make, either by accident or for those words that I tend to spell wrong.

That is another point few people know--that spell check/Spellcheck has different spellings and/or word separations based on the language. For example, in the UK a cooker in the USA is a stove; a lorry in the UK is a USA truck; etc.

6. ASchwartz profile image66
    ASchwartzposted 11 years ago

Very dependent. I think spell check has made me a worse speller. If I come across a word I can't spell, I never take a moment to commit the correct spelling to memory. What's the point? My trusty spell checker will catch it for me next time too.

That depends on what word the Spell checker assumes is wrong or right based on data input--it does not know grammar and therefore cannot correct a word that is used in a different context. You may have to compose an essay--when your computer is down.

7. MyGirlThursday profile image60
    MyGirlThursdayposted 11 years ago

I always use it. It's important to me to put my best form forward as a writer and I get very embarrassed if I haven't used spell check and I make a goof!

While spell checkers can catch minor inconsistencies and typographic errors, they cannot correct grammar, as with the third person and a plural or fictative verb (one that takes two objects).  It is easy to know who uses a spell checker and who knows

2. MyGirlThursday profile image60
      MyGirlThursdayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Regardless, Dr. Ide, basic spelling mistakes are easily avoidable if spell check is used.

8. Dr. Arthur Ide profile image65
    Dr. Arthur Ideposted 11 years ago

One of two remaining first bibles created in the fourth century CE by the Arian bishop Eusebius of Cesaraea on order of Emperor Constantine I Codex Vaticanus Lisa Koski, on a Hub, asked about the value of Spell Check (a trademarked word). Her... read more

9. DeanSexton profile image60
    DeanSextonposted 11 years ago

Hardly at all. I've found that spell check can actually create just as many grammatical errors as it solves. I believe the only way to strengthen the mind in regards to grammar and spelling is to read for at least five to six hours a day, it helps you envision words more clearly, whereas spell checking is the lazy way to learn.

Bravo! As a professor of grammar and spelling, your response is stellar.  True scholars and serious writers know both grammar and spelling and are energized using dictionaries, etc. Those who use spell checkers usually are unaccomplished writers.

10. profile image0
    hawaiihibouposted 11 years ago

I don't live without spell check anywhere! Good question.

When I taught on Maui (at Mauna Olu College), we were fortunate not to have computers or Spell Check.  We used dictionaries--the unabridged ones (I rejected "pocket" books), as even in college we had spelling bees. The students learned--then.

11. T. R. Brown profile image60
    T. R. Brownposted 11 years ago

Pretty much totally dependent.  When I was in Grad school, I had a professor who gave an automatic "F" if she found a word that was misspelled and in the spell check dictionary.  Her view was that you had no business misspelling with such an easy tool at your disposal.  Beyond that, I type pretty fast but with little dexterity, so I always have plenty of misspellings.  I would be forced to slow down significantly without it.

For the sake of your readers, I encourage you to slow down: read what you wrote, correct any and all errors, and make certain it is succinct and understandable.  Make haste slowly (festina lenta [Latin] speude bradeos [Greek]). People judge words.

12. bernard.sinai profile image78
    bernard.sinaiposted 11 years ago

I am very dependent on Spell Check. I use it all the time. However, there are times when Spell Check does not get it right.

13. Dr. Arthur Ide profile image65
    Dr. Arthur Ideposted 11 years ago

Spell checkers (from Google to Yahoo and others) are frequently wrong when working electronically on a page. Spell checkers only verify if a typed word is correct, but do not distinguish between "from" and "form".  The numerous inconsistencies in words can add confusion to any composition or essay (and the two words do not mean the same thing). 

A person learns more by referencing a dictionary, word list, grammar guide, and other material than by letting a machine do the work.  Spell checkers not only ignore obvious inaccuracies but do not even recognize words that exist in the targeted language as with the words "resume" (where there is an accent over both vowels "e" and refers to a form curriculum or work vita) and "resume" (a word that has no diacritics (a mark, point, or sign added or attached to a letter or character to distinguish it from another of similar form) and means "to start again").

Students who write papers for my classes are upset when they get a low grade when I award numerics to their paper or put a letter grade on it--circling spelling errors, misused words, and bad grammar. Their major protestation is that they used Spell checkers and assumed that the equipment understood the nuances of language.  When I direct them to a dictionary, they are amazed at how little knowledge really is a part of the system they used.  I am opposed to spell checkers, as can be seen in one thoughtful comment where the write commented: "Mind [sic: mine], is American English".  We need to return to exacting education, reading books and books on books, and writing with knowledge requiring subject mastery.

1. Juls2 profile image60
      Juls2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have put up top points about spell check. 
      I must say, my spelling mistakes are many, but here, the 'mind' was actually meant to be 'mind' as in "mind you, it is ... " & not, as understood - "mine is in ... "
      Perhaps it's where I'm from :-)

14. DzyMsLizzy profile image84
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

Not at all!  I AM the spell-check in this household!  LOL  I am always being asked how to spell numerous words.
    I do proofreading on the side, as well.  wink

I don't trust the automated versions, for they fail to catch context errors.  What is worse, is that I have caught them (more than once) suggesting unnecessary grammatical changes that would have resulted in incorrect grammar!

15. profile image0
    Jade0215posted 11 years ago

As far as my spelling goes, I rarely need it and I'll usually try and fix the word myself before I even press that button. If I can't do it after 2 or 3 tries then I give in.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)