What book are you reading currently?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Docmo profile image90
    Docmoposted 12 years ago

What book are you reading currently?

I'm in the habit of having two or three books on the go at the same time: 'Thinking fast and slow' by Daniel Kahneman, Lee Child's 'The Affair' and 'The Years Best Science Fiction' by Gardner Dozois. What book(s) are you reading now?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6877446_f260.jpg

2. nmdonders profile image73
    nmdondersposted 12 years ago

I don't think I'm like most readers because I know very few authors and book names.  I typically go for #1 sellers and books recommended by others to me.

Right now I'm on the second book of the Hunger Games.  I was reluctant to read it because it seemed a bit hyped up and for a younger crowd but I really enjoy it.  I'm also catching up on some of the Janet Evanovich books I missed in the series.  They are funny, entertaining reads.

3. xstatic profile image61
    xstaticposted 12 years ago

I have a stack of unread books on my shelf and another on my bedside table, poetry and novels. I also subscribe to ThreePenny Review and American Poetry Review, and New Yorker. Those periodicals keep me so busy that I can't read the books. Then there is HP...

4. MartieCoetser profile image69
    MartieCoetserposted 12 years ago

Facebook.... smile Serious! Of course, I don't only read the status updates of my friends, but in particular what they recommend (via links) as significant and meaningful articles and fiction worthy to read. At this stage of my life reading a real book seems to be a waste of precious time. I can spend the time more productively by reading 100 times the volumes of a book on the Internet about topics covering all aspects of life (and death) from non-fiction to fiction published by ingenious authors. All I want and need to read is to be found on the Internet. I mourn the fact that books in paper format are no longer needed by me. My personal library is already a white elephant and will most probably be an anachronism in the houses of my grandchildren.

1. Docmo profile image90
      Docmoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOl MArtie. loved your 'Facebook' answer. I constantly have this debate with myelf- as an ardent bibliophile I still love the the completeness of a book.  I also love reading bite sized chunks of knowledge off the internet...

5. Becky Katz profile image81
    Becky Katzposted 12 years ago

I am reading 'Old Nathan' by David Drake, 'The Seeder' by Ghost32, and 'Exodus' in the Bible. As well as all that I read on HP.

6. profile image56
    kumar24894posted 12 years ago

I'm reading "Two States" which is most famous in India. It deals with the inter-state marriages and inter-caste marriages in India.

7. rabasure profile image60
    rabasureposted 12 years ago

Though I have the desire, I hardly find any time to read any book, because I am preoccupied with my legal profession.Still I am determined to read something regularly apart from my professional materials.But I used to read two news papers, both are dailies, The Hindu and Deccan Chronicle regularly and get updated what is happening in the world.Thanks.

8. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

1. bookwormsglo profile image60
      bookwormsgloposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A good friend of mine read that last summer or the one before and highly recommended it to me. He was profoundly affected by it, and uses its contents in everyday life. I'm afraid his behavior also sometimes borders on manipulative, now.

2. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean by manipulative. Most leadership books are teaching individuals to become slightly manipulative. Because of how they act, you consider them foolish yet they always seem on top.

9. bookwormsglo profile image60
    bookwormsgloposted 12 years ago

Anna Karenina and Philosophy in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

1. Docmo profile image90

both brilliant examples of good writing.

10. Jim and Beyond profile image74
    Jim and Beyondposted 12 years ago

"The Writer's Art" by James J. Kilpatrick

Although written in 1985, the book offers timeless examples of good and bad writing.  Mr. Kilpatrick stresses that to write is to communicate.  Clear, concise writing equals clear, concise communication.  The tools of writing are necessary to learn, but then, and only then, you can then bend them to get your message across.  This is true whether you are writing a letter to the gas company, composing a graduation speech or penning a note to your grandma.

11. pstraubie48 profile image81
    pstraubie48posted 12 years ago

Right now, I am reading Mockingjay, almost finished, and Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks. Then will be reading Veronica Roth's books. I do read James Patterson's work, some Steven King, and a ton of mystery writer's works but I read a lot of children's books, like Danny the Champion of the World, BFG, the Magic Finger, The Twits.

12. Jenn-Anne profile image71
    Jenn-Anneposted 12 years ago

I'm reading the seventh book in The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Re-reading it, actually. It is a bit of a departure from his usual stories and I like it a lot. Plus King includes some fascinating insights into how he wrote the books which, as an aspiring writer myself, I find quite valuable.

1. Docmo profile image90

I'm a big fan of the Dark Tower series and have enjoyed the books in written form and recently as graphic novels with some beautifully illustrated works too. I'm yet to read the seventh book...

13. Larkinlove profile image60
    Larkinloveposted 12 years ago

Back Roads, by Tawni O'dell...I just recently gave up reading The Almost Moon by the author of The Lovely Bones.

14. profile image0
    Phelckyposted 12 years ago

Right now I'm reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. I have a list of books I wan't to read.. So I'm taking one at a time.

1. Docmo profile image90

A great Book!

15. umeraziz profile image36
    umerazizposted 12 years ago

i am currently reading book mastering finance with excel.. this book is equipping me with latest excel formulas and tricks and awsome short-cuts.

i thank the writer..

16. dramrit profile image59
    dramritposted 12 years ago

i am reading steve jobs by walter isaacson. good book but m losing interest as it gets more technical at this moment.. moreover i am looking forward to the movie tht's coming..smile

1. Docmo profile image90

yep the movie is being written by Aaron Sorkin ( West Wing, Social Network)

17. Ninasvoice profile image65
    Ninasvoiceposted 12 years ago

The virgins tale and another one called the shadow of the pomegranate about henry the 8th and his wife

18. cbunch11 profile image66
    cbunch11posted 11 years ago

I am currently reading a paperback I bought over ten years ago, MindBend by Robin Cook. After two days, I am about halfway through, and so far, I am not impressed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)