jump to last post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)

Why do you write?

1. MelChi profile image83
    MelChiposted 5 years ago

Why do you write?

Do you write because you motivate yourself? Is writing a hobby or a full time job? Do you want to be the next Stephen King? Are you trying to make some extra money?

2. egummer012 profile image59
    egummer012posted 5 years ago

Can't tell exactly but i love to write. Also want to earn some extra money.

3. Perspycacious profile image81
    Perspycaciousposted 5 years ago

I write to get my thoughts into the public forum, be they silly, poetic, or deep, and usually it is to the end that readers may think at least briefly on what I write.  The comments are an added bonus because we all benefit from the opinions of others.

4. nochance profile image94
    nochanceposted 5 years ago

I write because if I don't I will probably go insane from the stories in my head that need to be told. Both ideas I've thought of for fiction stories and events from my childhood.

I write to help other people get through their hardships and to teach those who know less than me.

Making money from it is just a really, really nice benefit.

5. Lord De Cross profile image81
    Lord De Crossposted 5 years ago

I guess is a need and the desire to share our knowledge. This is still a part time for us...so we take our time.

6. Gamerelated profile image85
    Gamerelatedposted 5 years ago

I write as a form of expression.  I am always thinking.  My brain can't stop thinking and sometimes it keeps me up at night.  Writing is a way of getting some of that stuff out.  I also try to be helpful to people.  I love the idea of teaching.  Teaching is a gift that you can give without having to give up anything except maybe a little bit of your time.

7. Tonipet profile image85
    Tonipetposted 5 years ago

I write because it makes me happy expressing what's inside my heart. It's a great feeling having the opportunity to learn and share a lot of stuff that bring good things and knowledge to all of us, and I find this through writing.

8. ChitrangadaSharan profile image53
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 5 years ago

I have been like this, that is into writing since childhood. I used to write diary, long letters, small poems and so on. Basically it feels good to express and share my feelings. For me it is more like a hobby. It is an added pleasure to get feedback from friendly people. Had been a teacher, so sharing whatever knowledge I have, comes naturally to me.

9. theanswers profile image60
    theanswersposted 5 years ago

How can I express my opinion without interruption and with much confidence other than writing? In life, we need people to listen to us. We have so much we want to tell but sometime we don't get that attention we need to just express all we have.
    I always find myself in that corner and I end up trying to look for someone whom i can share my opinion. With time I found that also make money out of this. Now I write to make money

10. Keith Ham profile image59
    Keith Hamposted 5 years ago

I write to escape the harsh reality that my life is terrible.

11. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

It's an art. I was always inclined to be artistic. My first triumph was when my homeroon in high school won first prize for the door (Christmas decor) I had decorated. Reading stories and books is something my elementary school got me hooked on, back in MacGregor Elementary in Houston. Mr. Diamico in Robert E. Lee high school hooked me on to Hemingway and creative writing. God bless all my teachers in the States from 1970 to 1980, I write because of them!

12. Hector Rosales profile image61
    Hector Rosalesposted 5 years ago

I write to release some of the pent-up anger and frustration I sometimes feel. I write so that when I die my daughters can find the things I've written and perhaps understand their father a little better. I write because sometimes it's easier to talk to a sheet of paper or a screen than to a human being. I write because I'm a compulsive thinker and worrier and writing helps relieve some of the stress that comes with thinking and worrying so much. I may write to motivate myself a bit. It's simply a hobby. I don't want to be the next Stephen King because those are some enormous shoes to fill. I don't make extra money... Yet. I write because I enjoy it.

13. Jonathon Kennedy profile image60
    Jonathon Kennedyposted 5 years ago

In hopes of changing the world in some small way.

14. montecristo profile image82
    montecristoposted 5 years ago

I write because I like it. I like to vent out my frustrations. Also, when I write, I get passionate with some subjects that are close to my heart.

15. WritingPrompts profile image74
    WritingPromptsposted 5 years ago

Most of my writing right now is free-writing or journaling.  I think it's been very helpful to clear my mind and work out solutions to things that are bothering me.  Kind of like a cross between meditation and therapy. 

I'd really like to be a fiction writer though.  I'm hoping when all the "mind clearing" is done I'll have some good ideas for books and maybe get my name up there with Stephen King or JK Rowling someday.

16. Cara.R profile image78
    Cara.Rposted 5 years ago

Hi MelChi,
    I thought about your question and realized I started writing when I received my first diary. None of the writing was spectacular however, I kept writing and writing. Having so many diaries and journals only made me become more creative. It sparked a desire to try to learn more about writing, grammar and reading. Reading books that are even out of my comfort zone of what I normally enjoy reading. Which made the creative process further develop.  If I ever made money because of my writing it would come in second. I have to write just like I have to create art work. It's a part of who I am.

working