This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-22 of 22 discussions (22 posts)

How did you come by your nickname?

1. Mighty Mom profile image83
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

How did you come by your nickname?

2. Rosana Modugno profile image82
    Rosana Modugnoposted 5 years ago

Glad you asked that because I never got one.  My whole life, everyone has called me by my real name.  Don't you feel sorry for me?  Don't you feel like giving me one?  lol

3. Pennypines profile image59
    Pennypinesposted 5 years ago

I don't have a personal nickname, but on HUB pages I am known as pennypines.  I took it from my association with the Garden Clubs, there is a reforestation program known as pennypines and I have had the honor of receiving several awards.  They hang on the wall above my computer and it seemed like a good name to use.

4. Steve West profile image82
    Steve Westposted 5 years ago

I would love to give these other kind folks one of my extra nick-names. You see, I have too many. I started in middle school with Eggy (because of my family name). As I became older and completed puberty, I became known as Egg-man. I moved to the Virgin Islands where the locals I had become friends with called me "Big Belly Mon." They even had a reggae song they would sing about me after a few Red-Stripes. "Big belly mon mon, big belly mon, no physical fit fit, no physical fit." It is a fond memory of more than twenty years ago.
    I now live in South Carolina and my best friends call me Scuba Steve and Captain Steve, and sometimes Captain Scuba Steve. I have been called other stuff too however Hub Pages is a clean site.

My wife calls me Biz, my youngest, DuhDuh, and my other two Daddy. My favorite three names.

5. dohn121 profile image83
    dohn121posted 5 years ago

Hi MM.  Well, Dohn is my middle name and was coincidentally, my paternal grandfather's name.  My dad was home in Laos on a furlough to see his new baby boy (me) and just missed my birth when he asked my mom,
    "So what'd you name him?"
    "Dohn," she said.
    "Hey!  That was my father's name!"
    Truth be told, my mom at the time had no knowledge of that fact as my dad was reluctant to ever talk about his father (he lost him as an adolescent during WWII).  Dohn  or Don is actually a common nickname in Laos.  It usually pertains to a Lao or Laotian that is pale in color (and I am of French descent).

The "121" of "dohn121" is my initiation number in my fraternity, Pi Kappa Phi.  Combine the two = dohn121.  Just in case anyone was wondering big_smile

6. AriellexTurtle profile image61
    AriellexTurtleposted 5 years ago

My actual name is Arielle.  But when having a conversation with my boyfriend we were talking about the animals we're most like, and I'm most like a turtle.  I'm quiet and I like my shell, if poked and prodded enough I'll stick my head out and bite, overall though the whole reason is, I just like being quiet and left alone most of the time.

7. e-five profile image94
    e-fiveposted 5 years ago

I got my nickname from a computer error on my class schedule on my firt day of high school. In every class I went to on my first day, they called the roll, and my name wasn't on it. But at the bottom of the roster was E5, which was also written on my class schedule. So for the rest of the year, I was known as E5 by my classmate. The term e-five has also come to mean an internet "high five" which seems appropriate for my attitude.

8. Robert Rankine profile image60
    Robert Rankineposted 5 years ago

I use my real name but when I started self publishing I had to become all literary and fancy and use my initials as there are two very famous and successful writers with my name and I was half afraid of getting a letter from a lawyer and half afraid people would think I'm trying to get some easy sales! Now I use my initials I think I look even more pretentious than if I used my real name but never mind! All my previous nicknames from growing up which were far more interesting (but perhaps ruder) have now been replaced with R.G which must be one of the most boring nicknames ever!

9. matt6v33 profile image59
    matt6v33posted 5 years ago

THE BIBLE. BOOK OF MATTHEW 6 V 33 MY FAVORITE, SEEK HIM FIRST IN LIFE, AND ALL THINGS SHALL BE GRANTED UNTO THEE! MATT6V33.

10. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

It's sort of a mystery. My parents and family have always called me "Bum" or "Bummer" since I was a toddler. None of my relatives or close friends ever called me by my actual name.

11. stclairjack profile image83
    stclairjackposted 5 years ago

on HP i'm "stclairjack" which is no more than my home plus my name,... jus a lil' name math.

growing up my grandmother and her "person i still dont like" (its this whole other story we dont have time for).... they called me "grump".... i guess i was a wee bit grouchy in the mornings and PBS already had taken "the grouch"... and to this day, in that small circle i am still called "grump"

by the time i hit jr high my full name had been shortened by friends, teachers and family to just "jack"... and all these years later i'm still jack,..... two husbands, several missadventures and many jobs, boss's, gigs and friends later,... i'm still just jack. the only time i hear my full name is when i've pissed my boyfriend off.

12. Alta5656 profile image73
    Alta5656posted 5 years ago

Hmmm.. good question. I have several nicknames that gives me  an idea when or where I met  a particular person and save me from embarrassment. If one would call me by my real name which is Alita, I would know that  person way back my primary days. If it is Drillon, then that will be someone from my high school or college days. Then if it is Lolit, surely I met that person during my singing days, but if it's Alex or Lex then she could be an associate or people or clients I made during my work as a sales counselor in a pre-need company. And finally if it is Alta,  it is 100% guys I meet through the internet like hubpages, facebook, wordpress, etc. And by the way my family , relatives, and neighbors call me LItlit. But I love the Lex..

13. Brain Baldwin profile image74
    Brain Baldwinposted 5 years ago

Very simple.  It's my real name with the exception that one day at university a class role had mistakenly named my Brain instead of Brian.  Just thought it was a bit funny when the instructor read it off like someone would actually be called Brian outside of a cheap movie.

For most boards I use my real full name or just last name.  I don't believe in hiding behind an alias.

14. ingenioustech profile image60
    ingenioustechposted 5 years ago

My mom and dad took the first 2 letters of their names and combined them to form my nick name.........

15. Mommaeagle777 profile image62
    Mommaeagle777posted 5 years ago

I got my nick name was, Sugarfoot and Gingersnap,
    my dad always loved to call me that! And it stuck, now
    my husband evens calls me that too, LOL! But, I don't
    mind, I liked it, it was Sweet! Oh how I miss my parents,
    they've been gone a while now! But, that's my story!

Thank you, Susan Smith

16. dixoncircle profile image61
    dixoncircleposted 5 years ago

I own a computer company years ago call Chexmate International. It was located in a city and within the city was the name I used to go online with.  I guess you could say I was the first broadcast that name from that place and it just stuck with me, now!

17. profile image0
    Lynn S. Murphyposted 5 years ago

My nickname is MaddawgMurphy. I was a project manager in a former life and the people I worked with said I was like a mad dog with a bone. Evidently I was quite the nag and it worked so well with Murphy. I took it as a compliment.

18. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

When I was a young boy I was a little fat guy, so came the nickname Beefy.

19. Sharkye11 profile image95
    Sharkye11posted 5 years ago

From the Lord of the Rings books. Saruman was nicknamed Sharky by the hobbits, and when my sisters and I role-played that became my persona of choice. Eventually they started calling me that in real life every time I was "bossy", or "haughty" or "snarky". It stuck. I had to rearrange the spelling though due to the fact that the way I spelled it offline was Skarkey, and one our biker friends has that as a road name.

Before Sharkye I was called Mimi or Lucy (from Peanuts) by my family, and used "Ouijaplayer" on my other forums as tribute to my love of all things paranormal. For many years all of my online friends just called my Oujja, which looks better spelled than sounded out.

20. profile image72
    ElleBeeposted 5 years ago

Well I have a few. One came because I couldn't pronounce my name as a child, and what I called myself became a nickname.  Now, a few of my relatives use this nickname for me but no one else really.

Other than that my nicknames are mainly my initials (LB) or various shortened versions of my name.  Nothing too creative.

21. christinebbr profile image67
    christinebbrposted 5 years ago

It's a shorter way to pronounce my name.

22. misstoughcookie97 profile image65
    misstoughcookie97posted 5 years ago

I have a few.

A friend gave me 'Happy" as in the character from Sons of Anarchy. It's because I smile I lot and am quite violent if someone gets me on the wrong side. I also got Cro Cop Junior, firstly because I'm Croatian and secondly because I'm practically a tank and a 'fighter'.

Another one was Guarnere Jr (as in Easy Company,(band of brothers), Bill Guarnere), mainly for the same reasons above.

working