jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (15 posts)

Voltaire is famous for what?

1. Iamsam profile image80
    Iamsamposted 5 years ago

Voltaire is famous for what?

2. JohnMello profile image95
    JohnMelloposted 5 years ago

Well, he wrote the novella Candide, a story of one man's disillusionment with the state of the world around him. He despised slavery and was a big fan of Confucius. His real name was Francois-Marie Arouet and he spent the last years of his life in the town of Ferney, which has since been renamed Ferney-Voltaire in his honour. It's said that he was a tremendous lover of coffee, so despite his sometimes intolerant views he couldn't have been too bad smile

3. Doc Snow profile image97
    Doc Snowposted 5 years ago

Wit.  Social conscience.  Courage.

He 'spoke truth to power,' and was beaten and imprisoned as a result.  Not surprising, given how effective his mockery tended to be; he famously said:

“I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.”

http://listverse.com/2011/07/24/15-grea … -voltaire/

4. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

Voltaire (a pen name) lived from 1694 to 1778 in France. He moved the Enlightenment - the awakening of a new political and social consciousness that would give birth to democracy - forward with his humor and courage.

Voltaire was imprisoned for his beliefs and writings many times. He did not stop writing. He was a model, therefore, of the courage to speak even when freedom of speech was not part of national law. And he wrote about freedom of speech, freedom of expression, civil liberties, free trade, and separation of church and state. His writing was very influential in the American colonies of Great Britain, and all of these ideas were included in the Constitution of the United States.

To put it simply, he allowed himself to be imprisoned that the Founding Fathers of the United States and those who stood up for Liberty in France might receive these ideas, and so that the Western world might develop democracy and live in Freedom until today.

May we remember his courage and nourish our freedom!

5. Cogerson profile image82
    Cogersonposted 5 years ago

If memory serves me correctly....he was a famous French author who was very witty and a strong backer of social reform.....way back in the 1700s.  And I thought that college education was never going to be used....lol.

6. Twilight Lawns profile image82
    Twilight Lawnsposted 5 years ago

Read 'Candide'.  That's all you need to do and then you will be inspired to read more and find out more.

1. marwan asmar profile image81
      marwan asmarposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You are write I did read Candide

7. MrMaranatha profile image80
    MrMaranathaposted 5 years ago

He was a Deist... I found this quote by a Roman Catholic rather humorous... "Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart wrote to his father the year of Voltaire's death, saying, "The arch-scoundrel Voltaire has finally kicked the bucket..."

As a Deist he did believe in the concept of God... just not on the particulars that other people would have him to believe... this affected the way he viewed many things in society... like authority and the need for change... and CHampioning the cause of the poor and needy.  The Powers that were... were not impressed! :-)

8. epigramman profile image67
    epigrammanposted 5 years ago

....one of my favorite quotes - "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."     I believe this applies so much to freedom of speech and in particular between colleagues here at Hubpages.
    lake erie time ontario canada 10:01am

9. marwan asmar profile image81
    marwan asmarposted 5 years ago

I don't know, philosophy, I guess, intellect another, writing as well, lots of creativity

10. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 5 years ago

He is famous for telling us to "dare to think for yourself"!

11. swb78 profile image61
    swb78posted 5 years ago

He as a French "Enlightenment" writer who was rather a rebel. He was known for his advocacy of civil liberties and often wrote satire against the elite.

12. Wayne Brown profile image83
    Wayne Brownposted 5 years ago

Was he the guy who designed the Chevy Volt for Obama???? Just wondering!  LOL! ~ WB

13. profile image0
    An AYMposted 5 years ago

A good thinker, with interesting things to say worth reading.

14. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

A great French writer, Voltaire, was a philosopher, and historian; he was an advocate for the "Enlightenment"and clever in witty speech. He was one of the first to advocate for freedoms, or civil liberties, and human rights, much of his work was copied by the founding fathers who drew up the constitution in the United States and followed his lead in many areas. He was a real "Founding Father" in his own respects and one in which to be regarded in highest esteem and and well deserved awe, in his works.