What motivated you to start writing on hub pages?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (29 posts)
  1. heartexpressions profile image41
    heartexpressionsposted 12 years ago

What motivated you to start writing on hub pages?

2. hi friend profile image61
    hi friendposted 12 years ago

A lot of topics motivate us to start a hub.  Generally the hub designed by others often motivated me to start a hub as my own here.

heartexpressionsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, me too!  I was motivated by the fact that I could write on a varity subjects.

3. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

After I had my first child I realised I wanted to be able to stay home and not return to work. I started a blogger blog - it was awful. I went looking for ways to promote it. I stumbled on the word "backlinks" and came to Hubpages to build them. Then I kinda...stayed.

I too tried blogging WryLilt, but i too but didn't have a good outcome.  My daughter found Hubpages and now we are both hooked.

4. pagesvoice profile image74
    pagesvoiceposted 12 years ago

Several years ago I was writing on a regular basis for another site. However, due to the lack of quality content and the amount of plagiarism that was taking place I found another place to write. My new found site was a great place to put together quality articles and the monetary rewards were fantastic. Unfortunately, the company folded and many of my friends there were all left scratching our heads and wondering where we were going to write next. After several trusted friends suggested we write on HubPages I too jumped on board. I was surprised though when I wrote my first article to find out I had joined 2 years earlier but had never published anything. Thankfully many of my old writing buddies are now publishing here as well and the bonds and loyalty of our friendships continue.

Wow that is an amazing journey.  Having others you know on here is defintely a plus.

5. Seeker7 profile image80
    Seeker7posted 12 years ago

I had been an article writer for a few years but let it slip as I didn't have the time due to career moves and so on. So when I came across Hub Pages by accident I loved the idea of being able to write on topics that I loved without that many constraints - that's what initially got me hooked and the other great people and writers on the site.

When I was made redundant I decided to have a bash at freelance writing as a possible earner and Hub Pages was perfect for this.

I felt the same way too seeker; I liked the idea of being able to write on whatever topic I fancy at the moment.  It's also pushed me to go beyond writing poetry.

6. ChitrangadaSharan profile image94
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 12 years ago

I was writing for another site prior to this, but there were certain limitations. This I discovered through Linked in. And I find it far more versatile and  lucrative. Though I have not made money so far, the pleasure of writing and reading on various topics is quite satisfactory. The community is great--full of friendly and talented writers, each one inspiring the other member.

I too like the versatility.  I'm quite new, so I still have a lot to learn on how to make money, but either way I am enjoying the journey.

7. Diana Lee profile image80
    Diana Leeposted 12 years ago

I was taking an online writing course.  The course was designed for the free lance writer. Although I had taken a writing course years ago that combined creative writing into the study course, this one did not.  I needed practice and a chance to find out if I had what it took to keep an audience reading my work. I found Hub Pages. It has inspired me to keep writing and to keep trying harder to improve. I like the input other members have given me after reading one of my hubs and I hope my comments on their work are just as welcoming.

Yes, this is a great way to explore our writing skills, and I am enjoying getting to know this writing community.

8. Deepak Chaturvedi profile image62
    Deepak Chaturvediposted 12 years ago

Firstly to get money but now concept has changed enough people who are doing good,our motivaters.

I am sure there are many people who were motivated by money, but then find the bonus of having such an awesome writing community.

9. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

To find a place that would keep me writing on a regular basis. Hubpages forces me to write each week instead of just writing once a month when I feel like it. To me, it's a hobby.

That's a good reason.  I am also being forced to write more often that I would have otherwise.

2. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's a good thing. Keeps you focused on goals you set out to achieve. smile

10. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 12 years ago

I'm not set up to make money here, so it's not that. But when I look at most of the novels being published today, I see how the writers have to become salesmen to drum up business for their works. There are so few readers of books left. If a novelist is "lucky", the book will be taken from them and stripped down into a movie form so that some essence of the story will reach the mainstream public. The essay has unfortunately replaced the novel as the most significant form of American literature today, while the novel has been totally commercialized as fodder for movies. The essay has replaced the novel, poetry, the play, and the short story, and is now center stage of the literary world. The essay is a pragmatic form of literature meant to convince someone of something without placing it in a narrative format. Best of all, the essay is the most-read form of literature in the US today. Still, our culture is based almost entirely on movies, television, and internet videos.

11. MarleneB profile image93
    MarleneBposted 12 years ago

I stumbled upon HubPages while doing a search for a subject. The results produced a hub written by an excellent writer with an invitation at the end of the hub inviting other writers to write for HubPages. I took the bait and have been writing for HubPages since that day.

12. missa72542 profile image78
    missa72542posted 12 years ago

About 2 years ago I had gotten married, and started working at this job in a call center for AT&T. Every day at work seemed to get harder and harder for me. More and more stressful. People were calling me and even though I was doing my best to help them with their problems, they were saying I was the one that messed up their phones. I even had a couple people tell me that I should kill myself.

I soon after left that job and attempted finding a job ever since. However, when I would find a new job, I would feel dread and stress that first day, instead of excitement like I use to feel on day one. The rest of the days weren't any better and I would end up quitting. The job at the call center messed up my psych with working for other people and I just can't do it anymore.

I divorced my husband a long time ago, and now I live with my new boyfriend. He needed me to get some sort of job for money and I came across HubPages online. I just started and I can already see how hard its going to be. But I had planned on treating it like a full time job. I don't expect to get payouts quickly, but at least I can get paid for working in the comfort of my own home without the stress of other people looking over my shoulders constantly.

It makes me happy smile

Well it looks like you are well on your way!

13. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

About, maybe, two years before I started writing on HubPages, I had just started doing some offline freelance writing again after not having done it since my children were young.  When I discovered "writing sites", it seemed like a good way to get practice (again) at "writing on demand" (writing what I could come up with after seeing a title suggested).  I did that for awhile and found I enjoyed "just writing what I wanted to write" (but on another site).  Once I was through feeling like I could use some "writing-on-demand" practice, I got a bad "flu thing" that left me exhausted for about two months.  Since I at least had the energy to write, I went to that site and wrote up a storm whenever I had some free time but still not enough energy to do much of anything else.  That site changed and started wanting to people to write "web articles" (as opposed to "whatever they wanted"), and that's when I searched and found HubPages.

As a freelance writer, a person often has to write what someone else wants him to write.  A writer who works full-time for a company always has to write what someone else wants him to write.  When I started writing, I'd never really had the time or chance to just write what I wanted to write; so the idea of doing that was appealing to me.  Although I wanted/needed more money at the time, I didn't believe anyone could earn by writing on a site like this.  So, my main motivation was to just enjoy writing, but also, maybe, share some of the stuff I think I've learned over a few decades of living life (and particularly since I've had some experiences a lot of people either haven't had yet, or else will never have).  Once I began earning some extra money on here I just kept writing.  My freelance business isn't all that "booming"; so, the more income, the better.

It's always seemed to me like using my spare or skimmed time to do what I enjoy on here (or a few other places) is a productive, but also pleasant, use of free time.  With the Internet's becoming less and less a "just write what you want" place, my offline working picking up, and my kind of having lost sight of "what I want to write" anyway; I'm now in the process of re-thinking my approach/aims and getting a little more back in touch with my "writing roots" (which is one of the nice things about writing online, or offline).   smile

All that aside, I have "a thing" that people don't understand one another very well.  Sometimes that factors into what/why I write.  smile

What an interesting response.  I love the idea of writing what I want, I don't know how well I would do if I was forced to stick to something specific.

14. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

I  was writing feature articles  and some humor pieces for a regional supplement to a large newspaper, but they eventually tightened up their budget and stopped their regionals. I still owned the rights to the articles I had written for print.
    An online friend that I 'met' on a writers forum mentioned that she was writing for HubPages. (DonnaCSmith) So I began asking her about it.
    I originally repurposed some of my old articles, and then began writing some originals for HP. I thought I might as well have somebody else read my work, and -- if I earned a little coffee money-- it would be fine.  I found out that it was a lot of fun-- especially getting feedback from readers.
    My earnings are modest because I haven't treated it like a job, but I have made more than I expected and enjoy the experience.

15. austinhealy profile image71
    austinhealyposted 12 years ago

A friend introduced me to Hubpages, as he is a writer too (a professional, not an amateur like me). As I had previously written some poetry and a whole bunch of short stories, I decided to give it a shot, and here I am, enjoying it very much so far

16. miss1magination profile image68
    miss1maginationposted 12 years ago

I was looking for a career change and my friend told me about hub pages.I was thrilled, although I knew it's not the easy way to build a fortune but I realized it's not always about the money. I really love writting and gives me the opportunity to make friends online and oneday, I'll have children so this is the best way for balancing work with family:)

17. montecristo profile image80
    montecristoposted 12 years ago

I guess curiosity. Hubpages has helped me grow as a writer. Nowhere will you find a great website that not only, promotes your hubs but has some outstanding writers to help you along the way!

18. Globetrekkermel profile image63
    Globetrekkermelposted 12 years ago

I always enjoyed writing even in grade school all throughout  high school and did some stint as a literary editor in the university that i went to.Wrote some poems when i was at the university as an outlet of pent up frustrations  of life in general.Of course that was  eons of ages ago.My writing skills had gotten rusty and needs serious honing.The wide variety of topics and  articles and the writers in hub are pretty interesting.Good place to start writing and expressing opinions.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)