jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

What grammar or punctuation errors bother you the most when reading?

1. VirginiaLynne profile image96
    VirginiaLynneposted 5 years ago

What grammar or punctuation errors bother you the most when reading?

2. StandingJaguar profile image78
    StandingJaguarposted 5 years ago

"try and [verb]..." Example: "I will try and publish another hub tomorrow."

Correct: "try TO [verb]" I will try to publish another hub tomorrow.

A common mistake, but O how it bugs me!!

3. visionandfocus profile image71
    visionandfocusposted 5 years ago

When people can't tell the difference between the possessive, (that which belongs to it) = (its), and the contraction of (it is) = (it's) . Also, when people can't tell the difference between the contraction of (you are) = (you're) and the possessive, (that which belongs to you) = (your).

Those examples of putting apostrophes lackadaisically really drive me crazy. It's not rocket science, people! Get your act together! We're talking basic basic here!!

VirginiaLynneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I love this!  I agree that this can be annoying.  I asked this question because I'm grading essays this weekend for my college class and began wondering what were the errors other people really notice so I could teach them to avoid them!

4. KiriLiz profile image61
    KiriLizposted 5 years ago

"Your" and "you're"... two small, simple words, but they are interchanged for each other in numerous ways! I happen to be what some people would call a "grammar nazi" and many grammatically incorrect things bother me, but I think the "your" and "you're" interchange irks me the most. While they may sound alike, they have two completely different meanings! "Your" is a possessive pronoun and "you're" is the contracted form of "you are." How can you understand a sentence that reads, "You're dog ran away" or "Your going to the mall?" You are dog? Pronouns going to the mall? So, yes, it really irks me.

5. RavenBiker profile image59
    RavenBikerposted 5 years ago

No because I'm one of the biggest grammar violators.  Ask my professors.  My ideas flex faster than my grammar muscles.

6. austinhealy profile image73
    austinhealyposted 5 years ago

English is not my first language, so I am probably very forgiving with grammar mistakes in the name of ignorance. What bothers me, though, is repetitions of a same word, especially in short stories and novels. There are many ways to avoid them and their absence makes any text much more enjoyable to read. It also shows that the writer edited his or her prose before publishing it. Laziness is not a virtue, and neither is taking one's readers for granted.

7. grumpiornot profile image71
    grumpiornotposted 5 years ago

I enjoy the comments of grammar Nazis. I am too old to re-do grade 5 English lessons, so that is a good way to learn...
    Usually, I make errors due to typing too quickly and not checking my own writing. If anything, I'm my own worst critic... so the errors that bother me most, are my own!
    What are yours?

VirginiaLynneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is a great answer--I agree that typos are the most common error I make, and I have a hard time catching them when reading off a screen.  It is easier to see them on a hard copy.

8. Peanutritious profile image60
    Peanutritiousposted 5 years ago

My biggest irk is 'should of' instead of 'should have'. I know teachers that do this! Admittedly, not English teachers!

working