jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why do we sometimes feel, that as poets, everything must rhyme, even our thought

1. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

Why do we sometimes feel, that as poets, everything must rhyme, even our thoughts?

As a poet, do you find yourself rhyming words in  your everyday language with family and friends, quite by accident, or is it?

2. profile image0
    SkeetyDposted 5 years ago

I like to write poems, but I have not made it a habit to make every poem rhyme.  I don't think poets need to do that to get their points across or to make their work relevant.  And thankfully, I don't find myself using rhyming words in everyday language!  Trying to rhyme everything you say puts so much pressure on you!

3. goldtiger profile image44
    goldtigerposted 5 years ago

i think that it's very limited to think that poetry has to rhyme, but I think it's really sad that anyone would be allowed to give me rules on how to express myself , some poems are really cute when they rhyme and some lose the whole point when trying to rhyme.

4. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

although most poetry is associated with rhyming verse, there are indeed, many poems that are non-rhyming and great in their quality of expression. Some of the most well known and hailed poets of all time wrote in verse that did not rhyme, yet portrayed a wonderful feeling of emotion and expressiveness.

5. StandingJaguar profile image79
    StandingJaguarposted 5 years ago

The great poet John Milton called rhyming a "troublesome and modern bondage," and, when asked why Paradise Lost did not rhyme, responded in print, "The measure is English heroic verse without rhyme, as that of Homer in Greek and Virgil in Latin, rhyme being no necessary adjunct or true ornament of poem or good verse, in longer works especially, but the invention of a barbarous age to set off wretched matter and lame meter."

6. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

Yes I do! I'm not even a poet, though after reading a great deal of lyric poetry, I do find myself going about the house thinking in rhyme or nearly talking in rhyme without trying. It must have something to do with the way the brain organizes and adapts to the information it receives.

7. hagsvilleUSA profile image60
    hagsvilleUSAposted 5 years ago

i actually prefer poems that don't rhyme.  certainly, a well-crafted poem that also rhymes can be highly impressive, but i think that too many writers sacrifice word choice and syntax for the sole purpose of rhyming.  they tend to come across sounding awkward much of the time.  i appreciate a poem's message or idea far more than its rhyme or rhythm.