jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Did you take up poetry in school or college?

1. flashmakeit profile image70
    flashmakeitposted 5 years ago

Did you take up poetry in school or college?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image61
    Tusitala Tomposted 5 years ago

Neither.  Though I did learn a little bit about poetry at school.   No, my poetry came from an inner urge to self-expression.  I wrote quite a few poems when feeling really despondent and down whilst living away from my loved ones.    However, I did compose other, lighter-vein ones at times.

I think real poetry, as distinct from just rhyming words for the sake of rhyme, comes from deep within.  It is an intuitive flowing of ideas, emotions, pictures which find themselves onto a written or typed page via the words we have in our minds.   It a cathartic clearing away of pent up emotion.

3. Richard Craig profile image77
    Richard Craigposted 5 years ago

I kind of just fell into it.  At school I had to write a couple of short stories and some poetry whilst studying them but I never really saw it as anything more than school work.  I was always interested in art and design and so I drew a lot so I used to always have a pencil to hand.  I've always been into hip-hop and RnB as well so I used to write song lyrics but soon I found I actually enjoyed writing poetry.  It helped me a lot whilst I was in a darker place and it became a viable way to express myself.

4. sereseus profile image73
    sereseusposted 5 years ago

Actually in neither.I picked up poetry in hubpages.

5. Kathleen Cochran profile image83
    Kathleen Cochranposted 5 years ago

Like a lot of writers I started with poetry when I was in high school.  You have a feeling you want to express.  Poetry is the first step toward doing that.  Four books later (fiction and non) I'm still making the attempt.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

The first poetry I read was the Complete Works of Robert Service that my dad had - I was about 9 and loved it.

When I was a young teen we started studying poetry in English class and I wrote my first poem....followed by a lot of melodramatic, teen angst, anti-war poetry (it was the 60's)

And it grew from there to be one of my favorite forms of therapy, communication and entertainment.

7. profile image0
    Moeskyposted 5 years ago

Neither. At 54 years old I "just" discovered "Spoken Word Poetry/Performance Poetry" online and it's blown me away. I write songs and have started storytelling... but poetry combines the two in a magical way. Never too late to start something new!!

8. ahorseback profile image60
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

Hey girl ! I never took up the pen until I was in my late forties !.......Weird huh!

working