jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

What was your favorite book that was read to you in kindergarten and why?

1. KoiHdez profile image60
    KoiHdezposted 5 years ago

What was your favorite book that was read to you in kindergarten and why?

I'm planning to write a children's book for my thesis, and would like to have some insight on the types of books that were read.

2. Thundermama profile image91
    Thundermamaposted 5 years ago

Oh that's an easy one, "The Velveteen Rabbit." I loved rabbits and stuffed animals as a kid and this heart warming story involved both. It's one I now read to my own girls.  If your story has an animal in it you can't go wrong.

KoiHdezposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I was to young at the time to understand "The Velveteen Rabbit", however recently when I just read it...my heart melted.

3. HendrikDB profile image60
    HendrikDBposted 5 years ago

It was Puss in Boots when I was five years old. I won the book in a coloring competition, and as I was very proud on my achievement, it became my favorite book.

4. Rosana Modugno profile image84
    Rosana Modugnoposted 5 years ago

Fun with Dick and Jane, where the infamous words "See Spot Run, Run, Spot, Run!" came from.  They were one of the first English words I learned to read.  Being born in Uruguay, all I knew was Spanish, so I was very excited when my teacher gave me this book to take home.  I would sit under the table and read it over and over until I learned it, then the teacher would give me others to take home.  Learning English was the one challenge I am very proud to have accomplished.

5. Romian1 profile image76
    Romian1posted 5 years ago

For me it was Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak.  It opened my imagination and made me more interested in books.  After all these decades, I can still remember a few things from kindergarten and the Wild Things book is one of them.

KoiHdezposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I asked my teacher to read that to the class one day, and she opted not to. She instead read The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. May Maurice Sendak rest in peace.

6. jsovermyer profile image77
    jsovermyerposted 5 years ago

The Pokey Little Puppy.  It's a little golden book and I loved hearing about the little puppies running around.

7. Billie Pagliolo profile image60
    Billie Paglioloposted 5 years ago

The Tell-A-Tale book, "Wonderful Tony". My mother read it to me around 1949 when I was four.  I was able to purchase it for $30 as a collectible because I wondered about the features that made it great.  I just wrote a children's story, "Lucky, the Left-Pawed Puppy" and the sequel will have the same theme of altruism and the alliterative features that make a children's picture book popular.  Have you looked at the website for the Society of Children's Book Authors and Illustrators?  In my second book, which as a picture book for kindergarteners needs under 1000 words, I'm going to include the alliterative features and repetitive features that I didn't include in "Lucky..."   In "Wonderful Tony," the lines are repeated:  "Tony grew thinner and thinner and thinner. And he grew smaller, and smaller and smaller. And all the friends of the barnyard begged him, "Please Tony, please eat.  But Tony wouldn't eat."  My mother used to tell me a story that kept repeating the lines: "Epandamonis, you haven't the sense you were born with."  Great story.  The little boy kept using the mother's previous instruction for a new task and ruining whatever he was doing.  When you take the butter to town, you have to cool it in the water."  So the little boy takes the sausage to town next (or something like that) and cools it in the water.  Over and over, the mom says the same refrain, "Epandamonis, you haven't the sense you were born with."  BTW, I have the name of a marvelous children's artist in the UK who illustrated my book.  Check out my children's publishing hub for links.  Best of luck.  I'm NOT a children's book author, but I ended up being a children's author (tee hee).

working