jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

If your child is being bullied, how would you handle the situation?

1. Kasman profile image83
    Kasmanposted 5 years ago

If your child is being bullied, how would you handle the situation?

2. MPG Narratives profile image60
    MPG Narrativesposted 5 years ago

My son was bullied at school and when I found out who it was both my son and I confronted the bully and his parents. Of course the bully denied any wrong doing in front of his parents but as it turned out he was being bullied by his older brothers and taking his frustrations out on my child.  The bully's parents apologised to my son and reprimanded (and grounded) their son for his hurtful actions. In this case confronting the bully was the best course of action.

3. CoffeeandJazz profile image61
    CoffeeandJazzposted 5 years ago

As someone who was bullied myself as a child I know what it feels like to be bullied and what to do. You should go directly to the teacher or write the teacher an email and let them know it is happening. My parents went to the teacher and told the teacher. When the teacher fluffed it off like it was nothing (I had a dimwit teacher) my parents went to the principle and my tormenter got in trouble.

4. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 5 years ago

Easy; I remove her from the institutional setting since the institutional setting itself causes bullying.

When you take a group of people and put them together based on a single common trait so ridiculous as their age bracket, the end result is often bullying. People in general look to normalize by creating some kind of societal structure, and school classrooms turn into self-contained mini-societies. The solution to a child being bullied is often to remove the child from the institutional setting instead of allowing the bullying to continue.

There are solutions to this problem that do not directly involve home schooling your child, either. Co-ops are an option, or multi-level classrooms such as those which are sometimes used in Montessori schools may help to prevent a child from being bullied.

However, when all else fails, Homeschooling certainly is a valid option to keep the child out of an environment where bullying is a social norm constructed out of the need for a people (and not just children, because adults can be bullied too -- just look at prisons!) to have some sort of social order.

5. EmpatheticAdvisor profile image61
    EmpatheticAdvisorposted 4 years ago

If I had a child being bullied, my blood would just boil.

No one has the right to pick on someone else. Period.

I would start where the bullying occurred and go through the entire chain of command until it was addressed.

If it didn't stop after that, I would go to the bully's parents, and get it across to them that their kid had better leave mine alone.

If they failed to take care of it, then I would go to the law and push until the kid either stopped the bullying, or got taken away and put into juvy or some place like it.

No one should have leave and run because someone else is pushing them out. After all who put them in charge anyway? Their not the boss, and if they were, then their boss needs to be notified as there are laws in place to make this stop and they need to be enforced.