What lines of poetry, speeches, etc. are you proud of knowing by heart?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image87
    Billie Kelpinposted 11 years ago

What lines of poetry, speeches, etc. are you proud of knowing by heart?

My mother was a bit eccentric.  She would lie with me on the Murphy bed in the living room of our apt.with a bottle of Schlitz beer,saltine crackers, and Thuringer salami.  After the "Honeymooners" left the "air waves" and the test pattern would come on with the Star Spangled Banner playing in the background, my mother would recite, from memory, passages from Tennyson, Kipling, and other poems she loved.  I, therefore, grew to love the sound of words.  I can recite the "Gettysburg Address" by heart as many people can and wonder which passages or poems you're proud of having memorized as well.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7659616_f260.jpg

2. Laura Schneider profile image83
    Laura Schneiderposted 11 years ago

The National Anthem and the Pledge of Allegience. I think every American should memorize these, especially the national anthem, because it demonstrates our spirit for living and succeeding as THE United States of America. It's tricky to memorize the words, though--weird sentence constructions to get the subject to work well with the musical score...

I also have parts of Hamlet memorized (just the typical ones that everybody recognizes).

And one line from one of the Shakespeare sonnets, I can't find it again after a long time of looking, talks about picking up the jewelry that a woman had just taken off and finding it still warm with her body heat. It just evokes such a poignant moment in time....

I can also sing most of the showtunes accurately, though not necessarily on key or well; things like Annie, the Sound of Music, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Wizard of Oz, and dozens more. (I memorized the words as I was learning to play the songs on the piano).

Billie Kelpinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is so much fun!  So I tried to find that line from Shakespeare and can't.  Let me know if you run across it; it sounds lovely.  I drive my husband crazy with "Sleep, sleep, innocent sleep..." but I ADORE the metaphors in that passage! THANK YOU!

3. rgalloway56 profile image72
    rgalloway56posted 11 years ago

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."
    I learned this in the eighth grade and just never forgot it.  It's strange how a person will remember something for that long, even if you haven't called it to mind in many years.

Oh my goodness!  I only can get to establish justice.  I'd going to make a fill-in-the-blank exercise of this on our website.  Eighth grade seems to be a year memorizing for me too!  Thanks for your response.  All of these make me smile!

4. Imogen French profile image85
    Imogen Frenchposted 11 years ago

What an interesting question. The only poem I ever completely memorised was The Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll - not sure why, I just enjoyed the sound of all the words and loved to say it out loud ...

Twas brilling and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe
    All mimsy were the borogroves
    And the mome raths outgrabe

etc ... I could go on, but don't want to bore you!
    I've never been great on speeches, but it's nice to be able to remember the odd significant quote from people one admires, such as Ghandi's response to the question "What do you think of Western civilisation?" to which he replied "I think it would be a good idea" smile

1. extranotes profile image61
      extranotesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol... I just posted (a minute ago) that I liked the same poem: Jabberwocky.

2. Billie Kelpin profile image87

Wasn't that a BRILLIANT piece showing the parts of speech totally without real words?  The only part that sticks with me now is "All mimsy were the borogroves."  VERY impressive and I LOVE the Ghandi comment - I had forgotten about that one. THANKS!

5. extranotes profile image61
    extranotesposted 11 years ago

"Jabberwocky" always presented a challenge to me... with it's own brand of invented words.  But I mastered it and use it now as a monologue during auditions.

ah, I'll have to check your hubs to see what kind of auditions.  My daughter is in LA - was on Broadway Touring Show of Mamma Mia, but is now thrown in with the million and five actors and no work smile

6. profile image0
    starsofeightposted 11 years ago

Once upon a midnight dreary,
    While I pondered weak and weary,
    Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
    While I nodded nearly napping,
    Suddenly there came a tapping,
    As of someone gently rapping.
    Rapping on my chamber door . . .

smile

Ah ha, my mom would recite that to me and scare me out of my wits!  Again, I'm going to save this and try to remember the poems people posted!  Thank you, Starsofeight!

7. Stephanie Henkel profile image92
    Stephanie Henkelposted 11 years ago

I can probably recite every Mother Goose Rhyme from "Hey, diddle, diddle, the cat and the fiddle" to "Sing a song of sixpense, a pocket full of rye; four and twenty black birds baked in a pie..."  I was given a set of 12 Book House Books when I was about 8 years old.  Book number 1 was Mother Goose. I read the complete set several times.

As a love sick teenager, I learned Elizabeth Barret Browning's sonnet, "How do I love thee, let me count the ways..."  and can still recite most of the sonnet. I'm a big fan of Rodgers and Hammerstein, so I've leaned all the words to many Broadway musical tunes.  (No, you don't want to hear me sing them!)

Now I do feel a little badly that I haven't learned any great speeches, excerpts from Shakespeare or classic poetry, but these are some my favorite things!

Cute!  I heard along the way somewhere that nursery rhymes had several functions, one of which was to spread political ideas that wouldn't be acceted otherwise.  I think that would be a fantastic hub.  I have MLK's Dream fill in blank on my website.

8. PurvisBobbi44 profile image90
    PurvisBobbi44posted 11 years ago

A poem “ Trees” by Joyce Kilmer--- I learned this in Girl Scout Camp.

I THINK that I shall never see   
    A poem lovely as a tree.   

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest   
    Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;   

A tree that looks at God all day,   
    And lifts her leafy arms to pray;   

A tree that may in summer wear   
    A nest of robins in her hair;   

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;   
    Who intimately lives with rain.   

Poems are made by fools like me,   
    But only God can make a tree.

Whoo Hoo!  I can't stop from smiling at the responses to this question.  I'm enjoying this sooo much!  PLUS, it's providing a resource for all the poems I wanted to learn, but didn't!  Thanks PB,  I love that poem

9. misc-disc profile image60
    misc-discposted 11 years ago

I had to memorize the entire balcony scene of Romeo and Juliet, and I happen to have memorized the end of a Robert Heinlein poem (written as the protagonist of the Green Hills of Earth):

We pray for one last landing,
    On the globe that gave us birth,
    Let us rest our eyes on the fleecy skies,
    And the cool, green hills of Earth

lovely!  There's something very poignant about "We pray for one last landing..."  Another actor?  I'll check out your profile.  Thanks so muc h.  I think I'll  go and rest my eyes on the fleecy skies now.

10. MissJamieD profile image56
    MissJamieDposted 11 years ago

The pledge of allegiance Is my favorite because it shows pride in our country and the belief in our Father above.

I'm so old, Miss JamieD that I remember saying it in school BEFORE they added the "under God."  The nuns were sure delighted that it was added officially  (according to wikipedia) on June 14, 1954 smile  Thanks so much for your response.

11. Isaac White profile image60
    Isaac Whiteposted 11 years ago

Stuff revolving around the united states, as well as a quote I heard a longtime ago, from a Knights Tale when the father tells his son, "You can change the stars" I live by that quote because, whenever the end of the tunnel seems dark, I find inspiration from that quote.

I. White

a counselor comforted me very much one time with the phrase "you're walking through a tunnel right now."  It gave me hope that I'd walk out and I did!  At first I didn't notice I was out and then one evening I thought, "I didn't cry once today!"

2. Isaac White profile image60
      Isaac Whiteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

oh cool, well im glad you found that strength to break free. now you'll make wonders.

I. White

12. profile image0
    oceansiderposted 11 years ago

These are some of the scripture verses I have memorized, from the best book in the world:  the Holy Bible.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life"
    From the Holy Bible...(New King James)..John 3:16

"Jesus said to him, I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (New King James) John 14:6

The Bible comforts many people.  I love the Beatitudes. Thanks so much Oceansider!

13. multiculturalsoul profile image70
    multiculturalsoulposted 11 years ago

If you have taught Shakespeare, you can't help but memorize lines from sonnets and plays. Macbeth's soliloquies haunt me in my sleep, Mark Antony's funeral oration plays in my mind during funerals, and the witches (can't forget the witches) show up unannounced in the kitchen.

How wonderful to have Shakespeare's words playing in your head so often - how wonderful to have TAUGHT Shakespeare. One of my favorites is "The quality of mercy is not strained, it droppeth as a gentle rain from heaven upon the place beneath." Cheers

14. recappers delight profile image69
    recappers delightposted 11 years ago

The prologue to Canterbury Tales - it felt so good to be able to understand a passage of Middle English.

"The quality of mercy is not strained" speech that Portia makes in The Merchant of Venice. Good advice then, good advice now.

The Beatitudes - probably my favorite part of the Bible.

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock - one of the most amazing poems I've ever encountered.

You picked 2 of my FAVORITES! Mercy, and the Beatitudes. Haven't read Love Song of J.A.P for 42 yrs. Glanced at it now. Know what popped into my head?  L Cohen's Hallelujah verse: "Even though it all went wrong...I'll stand before the lord of song.."

15. LauraGT profile image84
    LauraGTposted 11 years ago

I cannot go to school today, said little Mary Anne Mckay. 
    I have the measles and the mumps a gash a rash and purple pumps.
    My knee hurts when I move my chin.
    I think my belly button's caving in.
    My neck is stiff, my voice is weak.
    I hardly whisper when I speak.
    My tongue is filling up my mouth,
    I think my hair is falling out.
    I have a hangnail, and my heart is...
    What?  What's that you say?
    You say today is Saturday?
    Goodbye.  I'm going out to play!

(OK, I missed about 20 additional lines, but you get the point!)

This is SO cute. My mom would recite one with that same humor.  It was about a bird who left his bird wife, "Phoebe" 'cuz she cleaned the tree too much "and soon she was finding it terribly urgent to scrub every knothole with knothole detergent."

16. ExEl6 profile image59
    ExEl6posted 11 years ago

"Brothers and sisters of America." - Swami Vivekananda.

ExE16, Thank you! I looked up that reference. If it's the right one, it's beautiful ..."the death-knell of all...persecutions with the sword or with the pen, and of all uncharitable feelings between persons wending their way to the same goal."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)