jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Do you prefer pictures with your poems or do you think they have more impact wit

1. nighthag profile image85
    nighthagposted 4 years ago

Do you prefer pictures with your poems or do you think they have more impact without?

2. ocfireflies profile image81
    ocfirefliesposted 4 years ago

This is an excellent question.  I think if you find a picture that is a reflection of the heart of your poem, then the picture gives the poem more impact.  I do think pictures can somewhat detract from the poem if overdone.  It is as if the words get overshadowed by the pictures disavowing the sentiment of the poem.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

To find a picture to coincide with the meaning of the poem is very important I think. I think it to make it more enjoyable.

4. janshares profile image99
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

Posting poems on hubpages has made me appreciate the value of images with poetry. I think it enhances th visual imagination of the reader. But it has to be the right image to fit the tone and message of the poem.

5. jjokanode profile image61
    jjokanodeposted 4 years ago

Definitely more impact without. It leaves more to the imagination and leaves you to interpret it however you see fit without the influence of the creator pushing you towards how they think you should see it.

6. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago

I prefer to let the words paint the picture.  Unfortunately, due to HP not being a super poetry-friendly site,  because many poems are very short, I find I've been 'forced' to some extent to install pictures with poems to "lengthen" the hub.

I don't like that.  In the end, I'll probably eventually just delete all my poems, and publish them in an e-book instead.

7. thedigger profile image60
    thediggerposted 4 years ago

Picture can make the poem more attractive. So we should use the things to make poem more attractive.

8. wayne barrett profile image76
    wayne barrettposted 4 years ago

It's okay to highlight a finished piece with a picture, but I would stay away from creating a poem for a picture. If you find the opportunity to publish the poem, it will not stand alone.

9. nighthag profile image85
    nighthagposted 4 years ago

I've loved all the varied answers that this question has raised. but I just wanted to take a quick moment to give an apology to the writer who first commented here, I was about to answer your wonderfully detailed answer when I accidentally deleted your answer.
    I am so sorry,

10. ladydeonne profile image79
    ladydeonneposted 4 years ago

I prefer to read poetry and use my own imagination as to what it is saying and what that looks like.  When I read poetry I try to enter into the world of the poet....to see things through his eyes.

11. J - R - Fr13m9n profile image75
    J - R - Fr13m9nposted 3 years ago

Keep In Mind: A poem has its own feet to stand on. Overall if your readers like visual stimulation to accompany the imagination, then incorporate pictures in your poems. Since your nature is creative and if you own a scanner, try scanning your doodles and other little drawings. Once your artwork is scanned and on your hard drive or flashdrive, then display them with your poetry. If you also have an imaging center on your computer, you will be able to change color to b&w or sepia, alter the photos brightness,  saturation and focus. You can even use special affects and cropping to polish off an image that was mediocre from the beginning.

working