jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)

If I want to publish one of my pieces on an eBook, do I have to remove it from m

1. wayne barrett profile image72
    wayne barrettposted 4 years ago

If I want to publish one of my pieces on an eBook, do I have to remove it from my Hub?

I am going to try and publish some of my short stories and don't know if I should remove them from HP before or after publishing?

2. Twilight Lawns profile image82
    Twilight Lawnsposted 4 years ago

Hi, Wayne,
    Yes, I think you should because HP don't like you to have anything on their site that is available on the Internet and sometimes they (eBook publishers) publish a chunk of the story in a "preview".  But really, your work's your own and you can do what you want with it.
    If  you get  back to me, I will give you the name of a really good site that  lets to publish for FREE!
    Ian

wayne barrettposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I sent you another email.

3. profile image0
    Joanne M Olivieriposted 4 years ago

Wayne, I wondered about this myself.  From what I understand, ebook publishers like Amazon, Createspace etc... do not actually publish all of the content online.  They will advertise a snippet of one piece on their website but that's it.  So, I don't think you'd be breaking any duplicate content rules.

1. Abby Campbell profile image93
      Abby Campbellposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Joanne, Wayne. :-)

2. wayne barrett profile image72

Thank you Joanne.

4. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 4 years ago

It would probably be wise to do so, by publishing in an ebook, you want people to pay for the pleasure of reading your stuff, they can get some of it for free on hub pages.

true!

5. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

If your hub has been published for more than a couple of weeks most likely it won't matter. Most websites like HP want to be the (first) site you post articles to. Rarely does someone complain about a writer posting the same article several weeks, months, or years on another site including the writer's own website.
    If HP complains you can always remove the hub.

1. skperdon profile image88
      skperdonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Interesting conundrum!

2. wayne barrett profile image72

Thanks for that information.

6. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 4 years ago

I emailed team@hubpages.com on this one. They advise taking the hub down before publication to avoid the *risk* of a duplicate content warning. At the same time, eBook publishers don't make the contents of hubs searchable on the net, so the problem may not arise.

If you want to follow HubPages guidelines closely, then yes, take the hub down first.

Thank you.

7. Billie Kelpin profile image86
    Billie Kelpinposted 4 years ago

Wayne,  If you're publishing your stories with hot links for reading devices like the new Kindle Fire, etc. you can link back to your story here on hubpages, I'm sure.(I didn't get this from the hubpage horses' mouth, so to speak, but somehow it seems to have come up before.)  That would mean that you're bringing more people to hubpages and the story is still exclusive to them. You can google "add hot links to ebooks," and I'm sure you'll find great suggestions.  If you email hubpages, you can find out for sure if this would be a nice work around. 
    You don't have to give the "ugly" url which would muck up the looks of your work in an ebook and would be useless for people whose ebook reader doesn't link.  You could just type an intro like, '"The Wild Wide World of Wayne," published on hubpages.com, is based on the true life story of a writer tearing his hair out as he publishes an ebook.'   Link the title to the long  probably unweildy url, and the title only will be underlined for the reader who can link.  The reader with an older reading device will still be able to know where the story is and can easily get to it as a loyal faithful reader will do.

If you decide to publish an app with your short stories, you can use ibuildapp - easily link-able to your stories no matter where you've published them.  Then readers can read them on mobile devices.  I made an app with them - easy peezy (except for the upload which my software husband helped me with, but they have help for you). My app is in the googleplay store and will be in the Applestore soon.
    There might be a few links for you in my article on "How to Publish A Children's Book" (or something like that title)  I really see nothing but positives about adding links to our ebooks.  It's the future that's here right now.  Cheers and Luck!

Lol. Thank you Billy!!

8. Savio Dawson profile image85
    Savio Dawsonposted 4 years ago

You can do any one of the following two things:

1. You take it off hubpages for your own good, since people who pay to read your stories may be left disappointed, if not enraged, to find the content available for free elsewhere.

2. You can also let the stories stay here and modify it a bit for the e-book. Then you can provide links to your hub articles, naming it as 'Additional Interesting Read'. Your customers should be thrilled to have more reading experience for the price of one.

So, all the best for your e-book!

1. Twilight Lawns profile image82
      Twilight Lawnsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

This is a very sensible and well thought out answer.  I have thought  this in a muddled way, and will remember point 2 when (and if) I go down the eBook publishing road again.
      Thank you.

2. Savio Dawson profile image85
      Savio Dawsonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi Twilight Lawns,

Glad I could be of help! All the best for your e-book publishing endeavor!

working