Do you always read articles with pictures over articles tht don't have them?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 10 years ago

Do you always read articles with pictures over articles tht don't have them?

Looking at the new publishing rules on this site and some others that require a picture to be featured does it make you think the article has less value?  I read both and I don't go looking to see if they have a picture or not.  It matters not to me.

2. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

Lady let us look at some of my fav's. Eidwein is into a photo kick, that is really fun. Epigramman gives nothing. Billybucs are personal. MrHappy knocks my socks off, Rolly Chabot is a really cool photographer. Lastheart publishes great photos.
    Me of course am my very favorite. And it is generally just my collection.
    ecramer did a series and the photos just gave us a hint. Wayne Brown... did not do much photo stuff, but showed us how it was done today.

So yes I do plug in and turn on to some artists photos. But like our poets, maybe they should add flowers or pictures of me just for the sheer* beauty, but what they draw with their "pen" is far more than a photo.
    * I get shear and sheer messed up, but have been told that like Dome Rock Yosemite I have a wonderfully shear/sheer protuberance for smell. This is really my point: My nose looks like a limb on a saguaro cactus with the majesty of Zermatt/Matterhorn thrown in.
    (THAT IS A PICTURE)

Lady Guinevereposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do know what you speak of.  I would rather get a picture in my mind by the writings than a picture that limits what my imagination can get.  HP wants more pictures in articles bcus they think it is better quality.  U and I don't think so.

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Let me try again. Some folks are such bad ass writers that they have following of over 1K and they do not need no stinking photos. Some folks like me kind of need them cuz I just can't paint the picture with my words. If you hub kicks butt without...

3. Lady Guinevere profile image67

It's HP that is doing the penalizing if one doesn't have many pictures on a hub by rating it lower on the feature scale.

4. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Let me try one more time. Really great writers do not need them on some hubs. Their traffic and popularity do not require any fluff. Some of us need it. If you get really low scores, a photo could help you. Not lack of photo hurt you. It is a bonus.

3. NiaLee profile image60
    NiaLeeposted 10 years ago

I definitely have my eye attracted to pictures and videos but I do read hubs according to the subject and the style of the writer...the pictures come after. Though, it is great to see beautiful pictures.
    Love and peace to you and all...

I like pictures 2, but those of us who don't have pictures or lots of them should not be penalized because we don't.  Rating them less quality is like a punishment IMHO.

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Yes, they are much more engaging if there are pictures.

5. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
    LoisRyan13903posted 10 years ago

It doesn't matter to me.  Maybe it is because I have not added many pics yets, but plan to in the near future.  I did find out that some sites that have royalty free images.

6. christopheranton profile image65
    christopherantonposted 10 years ago

I prefer to read fairly short articles, (not more than about twelve hundred words), but I don't really care whether they have pictures or not.
    Search engines give preference to articles and websites that people linger on, so it's always a good idea to put an interesting video or some good pictures on your hubs. The headings also make good places to put some keywords. I don't really like the way that HubPages seem to be getting everyone to publish their hubs in an approved form though. It's too "corporate image" for my taste. Still that seems to be the way things are going, whether we like it or not.

7. Stephanie Henkel profile image93
    Stephanie Henkelposted 10 years ago

Although I read both, I find that articles with pictures are more likely to grab my interest from the beginning and keep my attention to the end. Articles with only text can be boring to the eye, and must have a riveting message to keep me interested.  I think that pictures do give an article more value when they help to illustrate the article, provide beauty, humor or additional interest.

One thing I REALLY do not like is an article that starts out with a video which begins to play automatically. No matter how much I like the author, I am likely to close the window when that happens as I just find it too irritating.

I agree with the video thing.

8. grandmapearl profile image75
    grandmapearlposted 10 years ago

I happen to love pictures, but I certainly agree that you should not be punished if you do not include them.  As long as the article is interesting and engaging, I don't look for pictures.  But I do find that images often help me to remember the subject matter better.

9. M. T. Dremer profile image86
    M. T. Dremerposted 10 years ago

I do tend to prefer articles with pictures. It's not because I think they're better than articles without pictures, it's just that pictures give a face to an article; something to identify it by and share it with. It's like the cover art on a book; you don't technically need it, but it's nice to see it on the shelf and easy to remember. Similarly, images are very helpful for article formatting. Large blocks of text, even well written, can look daunting and un-readable. Creating a visual flow for the reader can be just as important to success as the writing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)