To the poetry writers out there... Why do you write poetry?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (37 posts)
  1. nwolf93 profile image62
    nwolf93posted 10 years ago

To the poetry writers out there... Why do you write poetry?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8153842_f260.jpg

2. donnah75 profile image92
    donnah75posted 10 years ago

I wrote a hub awhile back that answersthis question for me.  You can find it here: http://donnah75.hubpages.com/hub/Poetry … e-and-Heal

I do think that every poet might answer this question in a slightly different way though.

nwolf93posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, I will check that hub out. I agree, every poet will answer in different ways. That's what is so awesome about writing and one's creative mind!

3. Diana Lee profile image76
    Diana Leeposted 10 years ago

Poetry for me is a release of emotional stress.  It is extremely helpful for dealing with grief when poetry is written with thoughts of the loved one passed on.  I have written many memorial poems. I have also written poems about people I admire and let them see the poem in a personal greetings not found in a regular greeting card. You'd be amazed how much they like getting these special notes.

Poetry can be another way of story telling. Ballads, jingles and song lyrics are stories in the form of poetry. Funny, serious or emotional words bring to light what you are feeling in your heart. If you wrote it or another did the results are the same if you can relate to what is being said.

thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it!

4. Tom Rubenoff profile image88
    Tom Rubenoffposted 10 years ago

We see because light (energy) ricochets randomly as it is reflected by objects (matter) and thereby creates an 'image' (manifestation of light energy) upside down (relative to perception) inside our eye organ (matter) that converted to information that is transmitted by electrical impulses (energy) to our brain organ (matter) where it is named and categorized through the interaction of more electrical impulses (energy).  The brain can then use the voice or pen to express what it has "seen." This process occurs uniquely in each individual. 

Therefore, when one puts into words the images they have witnessed, they are voicing (or writing) a unique point of view.  This point of view is expressed in words. 

Words represent thoughts, but thoughts are unique whereas words are not.  Therefore something more than words is necessary in order to express the unique perspective inherent to each human. 

That 'something' is poetry.

very detailed answer Tom. thank you!

5. Nellieanna profile image69
    Nellieannaposted 10 years ago

Let me refer to the classic movie about ballet, "The Red Shoes", in which Boris Lermontov, the dance master, asks Victoria Page, the young dancer, "Why do you dance?" 
    She replies with her own question: "Why do you breathe?"
    He's startled, but replies, "Because I must!" 
    She calmly says that it is the same with her and dancing.

"Because I must!" - I agree. Thank you for your feedback!

6. Man of Strength profile image72
    Man of Strengthposted 10 years ago

I love to express myself through rhyme. I also love to create characters and scenarios in my poetry. It stimulates my creativity.

definitely man I agree.

7. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 10 years ago

I like to write poems you see,
    and make words that Rhyme but that is just me.
    When I see someone who is sad and blue
    I think, "I'll write a poem for you"
    not just any old words won't do
    But words to take away the hurt from you!

Poems are fun. Poems are usually kind.
    Do you see what I mean?

Nice creativity right there! thank you!

8. Erin Wilson profile image60
    Erin Wilsonposted 10 years ago

I write poetry because I'm a VERY wordy person. When I feel or think about something sometimes it becomes sort of a "movie" in my head, sticks in there, and unless I write it out it will either become deeper engrained or I become obsessed with it. I do not always write because I want to or because if like to. I write because something in me needs to. Its a compulsion. I guess the best way to describe it is; when a person is deeply frightened, they run. When I feel something or have story in my head I HAVE to write it.

1. Lee Tea profile image83
      Lee Teaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you there in your first sentence.  I write full articles and reports, but they're technically and thoroughly worded, making it hard for many to follow.  When I have one idea I want to convey succinctly, I use poetry - it's pleasing to read.

9. rexy profile image59
    rexyposted 10 years ago

Poetry is like an Art,
    Poetry come from the
    Heart!

10. cebutouristspot profile image78
    cebutouristspotposted 10 years ago

Writing poetry for me is a private thing that I keep for myself.  Its for me to channel my emotion.

Well they are not that good but that is not my intention but for me to channel raw emotion and relax myself smile

I agree. Writing to channel one's emotion and find a release is honestly the very first reason one should begin to write poetry. A person should write to help themselves!

11. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

Because I must.  There are times when there is no other way to express what is within than with poetic utterance.  A poet sees life through a poetic lens.  What we don't write on paper, we express in thought and form. Most of what I write is in journals.  It's there because I want it close to me.  If I share it, it now belongs to the reader.

I agree. "I must" write poetry too. Poetry keeps me sane. Thank you for your feedback.

12. Accidental Writer profile image80
    Accidental Writerposted 10 years ago

Because I am not good enough to write something longer.........

13. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 10 years ago

When I write poetry I'm able to express my inner most feelings. When my son died, it was through the vehicle of poetry that I found myself releasing feelings I didn't know I had.  Anger, pain, guilt, loneliness found there way out of the prison of bewilderment and torment.

In a way, you could say that through poetry I learned to live with this unimaginable loss.  My grief is endless but at least through poetry I can release negative energy and begin to heal.

This is only one reason I write poetry.  This medium is natural for me.  Words flow and vocabulary is born and I don't know where it comes from.  It's almost as if someone else were writing and not me.

A fantastic question.  Thank you for asking why we write poetry.

thank you for sharing! Poetry is definitely a great outlet to release your inner most feelings. I'm glad to hear that you were able to use poetry to release your negative energy to heal. Poetry, I've learned, is definitely a great way to cope.

14. wildove5 profile image75
    wildove5posted 10 years ago

Because Its what I do! lol  Why do you ask?

15. ajwrites57 profile image84
    ajwrites57posted 10 years ago

To quote e. e. cummings, when I write poetry, this is how I feel: "Well, write poetry, for God's sake, it's the only thing that matters."

When I'm moved to write or inspried or taken over by soemthing, this is how I feel: "Poetry is not a turning loose of emotion, but an escape from emotion; it is not the expression of personality, but an escape from personality. But, of course, only those who have personality and emotions know what it means to want to escape from these things." T.S.Eliot

thank you for your feedback! Great quotes right there!

16. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

For me, poetry is a complete story of any kind one wants to tell in a limited space.  A good poem can give the reader a complete story with texture and emotion in just a few stanzas. I find it very rewarding to sit and set out a complete scenario with few words.

And as Diana Lee states, it is an emotional release. I can take feelings and lay them out on paper and it is a tremendously cathartic experience.

I agree! thank you for your feedback!

17. Mhatter99 profile image66
    Mhatter99posted 10 years ago

Shh...(don't tell anyone) I can make FAR more money writing news. But poetry is all I now can handle.

18. pelsicco profile image60
    pelsiccoposted 10 years ago

like others have mentioned it is all about expressing what is inside of you.it is also a good way to use language creatively to stimulate the senses of the reader and explore your own feelings in a positive fashion.

I agree 100%! Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it

19. Nicole Danielle profile image52
    Nicole Danielleposted 10 years ago

I write poetry mostly when I'm depressed and the most vulnerable. The words on the paper express everything I can't say out loud.. All the emotions that have built up spilled all over the paper makes me feel for at least a moment that a weight has been lifted from me. A very good way to cope with stress, anger, loss, and depression in my case.

I completely agree with you. It's definitely a release for me too. Thanks for your feedback, Nicole Danielle.
      -Nick

20. RobinBull profile image61
    RobinBullposted 10 years ago

I write poetry when I just can't contain it, when I find a great book to commit to black out, and as a cathartic exercise as I heal from an abusive marriage.

Awesome thank you for your feedback. Poetry is definitely an outlet for me to express my overwhelmed emotions. When I can't contain the emotions I do what you do: I just let the emotions pour out through poetry writing.
      -Nick

21. Globetrekkermel profile image62
    Globetrekkermelposted 10 years ago

I write poetry because it is good for the soul. It is a  good  release of pent up emotions which has been building up but never expressed. Also, a good time to be alone with your thoughts and talk to yourself internally without the distractions of your outer world.

I agree! Thank you for your feedback. Writing is definitely a great way to release welled up emotions. That's honestly my favorite reason to write: to release all the emotions within me. Writing keeps me sane.
      -Nick

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)